What's new

B&K Reference 50 vs. Reference 30 (1 Viewer)

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Its not clear from the B&K site - other than the balanced inputs/outputs and more sophisticated remote, what does the 50 have that the 30 doesn't?

Has anyone compared the sound?

I'm looking for a mid-priced pre-pro, and the 30 might be an option.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I owned a Ref 30 before my Anthem, and sat down and gave a quick listen to the Ref 50. I thought it had better audio quality. The sound was smoother and it seemed to have more detail.

But that was a quick sit down, not a lengthy comparison.

Dean Arizona

Agent
I seriously interviewed the 30 at around the time the 50 was announced. When I later listened to the 50 I heard no sonic difference. Both units fed Krell amps which drove Monitor Audio Gold 60's. The 30's Motorola DSP is designated 56362 vs the 56367 for the 50 (looks like minor tweaking). If you don't need balanced connections or don't mind missing out on some of the current software upgrades (DPLII) this SSP is still a sweet unit(upgrades are available but will be an issue). I've seen new 30's go for around $2000 and used for around $1500 (Audiogon). $2000 is not a good value considering what's out there right now. However, a used 30 for under $1500 could be tempting. In this price range you might want to compare the 30 vs. the Rotel 1066 (maybe even the Outlaw 950 for under a $1000 - though its Cirrus chip doesn't match up to the Motorola DSP IMHO). Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

PS.I currently own the 50 w/1.03 software and very happy with the unit. I'm not experiencing any of the whine problem other members have been reporting at this and other sites). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks