What's new

AVR won't send HDMI Blu Ray to TV (1 Viewer)

n00bstomper

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
I have an Insignia AV-511 receiver. It's HDMI video out runs to my TV, which has a DVI/HDMI adapter. I have my DirecTV receiver AND my Samsung Blu Ray player plugged into their respective HDMI inputs on the Insignia AV Receiver. DirecTV shows up fine on my TV, but when I boot my Samsung Blu Ray Player, it flashes a Samsung logo, I hear a start-up noise through my AVR, and then the TV screen goes either fuzzy, or totally blue. Any Ideas? Is this because of the DVI/HDMI adapter? Thanks. :confused:

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
The problem could be due to the player requiring HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection) to be supported by the display. Many older TVs that use DVI connections don't have it.
Try plugging the player directly into the TV to see if that works. If it does, then HDCP isn't the problem and you need to investigate settings in the player and in the receiver. People here will be glad to help.

n00bstomper

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Selden Ball said:
The problem could be due to the player requiring HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection) to be supported by the display. Many older TVs that use DVI connections don't have it.
Try plugging the player directly into the TV to see if that works. If it does, then HDCP isn't the problem and you need to investigate settings in the player and in the receiver. People here will be glad to help.
I plugged my Blu Ray directly into my TV via the DVI to HDMI adapter. Video looks great, but there is no audio.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
The problem might be caused by the DirecTV box. Satellite and cable boxes have the most problematic HDMI implementations. Try unplugging the satellite box from the receiver and reconnecting the player to the receiver to see if that works. If it does, the next thing to try is to connect the DirecTV box to the TV using HDMI and to the receiver using optical or coax.
Alternatively, if the Blu-ray player has a digital audio output (either coax or optical), you can leave its HDMI connected directly to the TV and connect the player's digital audio to your receiver to get sound.
Also make sure all three devices have up-to-date firmware. Making HDMI work is still a black art and all of the companies release new firmware frequently.

tjohnusa

Agent
Real Name
Terry John
One other possibility is a bad cable or jack on your reciever.Try switching the dvd for your directv. If the problem switches you can bet it maybe the jack on your reciever. If things stay the same then switch cables....you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks