What's new

Avoiding discussing the movie... (1 Viewer)

Runar_R

Second Unit
I thought I should ask this in a new thread.
In the thread about the new gorgeous set for Pearl Harbor, I've noticed quite a few comments that basically says
"if you don't like the movie, don't click reply".
I wondered if this is a commonly held view in this forum. Because to me, it's not a matter of gleefully bashing a movie just for the sake of it. I'm genuinly interested in discussing what I rate as the most important issue when it comes to DVDs; the film itself. Pearl Harbor is very interesting in that respect, considering the massive job that has been done to make this impressive package. All this on a movie I percieved as being very weak. So is the movie itself the only aspect of the dvd that we should NOT discuss? As Ronald says in his review, "If not for the film, I could almost declare this set as being DVD OF THE YEAR."

So, if I didn't like the movie but would like to hear what others has to say about problems I had with it, should I keep my mouth shut? Not trying to piss anyone of here, I would just like to know the 'unwritten rules' so to speak.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well, what they like people to refrain from is entering a thread that is obviously positive about the film and bashing it. It often leads to feelings getting hurt and thread closings. Generally in the Software Forum, talk is kept to the actual product being released by the studios as opposed to the content of the film itself. You might check the Movie Forum for PEARL HARBOR threads. If there isn't a "hate" or "discussion" one already, then feel free to start one. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same way about the film as you do.

In short, discussion isn't discouraged. We've just had bad luck with flame wars starting. Use your best judgement before posting.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The rules aren't "unwritten". From the description of this forum on the main HTF page:

Also, discussion of software content is fine when considering the pros and cons of the presentation; however, threads that focus primarily on content will be relocated to a more appropriate forum (e.g., "Movies").
The pros and cons of Pearl Harbor have been discussed extensively in the Movies forum, and I'm sure that will continue with the release of the Vista edition.

The reason for "if you don't like the movie, don't click reply" is simply to discourage people from engaging in a practice known as "thread farting", which involves entering a thread focusing on the technical merits of a DVD just to interject comments like "Who cares? The movie sucked". Substantive and serious criticism of a film is always welcome here, but the bulk of it tends to end up in Movies.

Hope this helps.

M.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
A good rule of thumb is to take any discussion of the actual film to the Movies (or, if applicable, TV) board, and any discussion of how it's packaged to the Software board.

EDIT:

Generally in the Software Forum, talk is kept to the actual product being released by the studios as opposed to the content of the film itself.
Heh. Isn't that an indication of the somewhat skewed viewpoint of a Home Theater Forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks