What's new

AVM-20 upgrade and current O.S.? (1 Viewer)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, interesting info. I wonder if everyone's got a bit of the truth. From the info provided here, I could see this scenario:

New units shipping today have the hardware installed but not activated. In this case, the dealer would only have to download the software into the unit.

Older units sold w/o the new board would have to have the board and software installed.

Both services would cost the aforementioned $300-400 and we wouldn't necessarily know which situation we were in if we were the average customer.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The website goes on to say that the chip is currently available.
This is encouraging, because if Motorola didn't have it available yet, Anthem's August timeline would definitely not be achievable.

BTW, my dealer said to me many moons ago that he would give me the upgrade for his cost. We'll see, but I may not be inclined to get the board if it's $300+. I'd rather spend it on something else (like an upsampling board for my CDP?).

Doug

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm also inclined to not want the upgrade:

- not going to have a rear center channel (no DTS 6.1) due to placement issues,

- I like my music in 2 channel (no DPL2),

- Unsure about the usefulness of THX Ultra 2 capabilities,

so I wouldn't get much for my $400 for the upgrade.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I wonder what the upgrade path would be for those who elect not to do the hardware upgrade? Will there be different versions of software upgrades for the two different chips?

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I asked the sales rep yesterday about the software upgrade and if there was a cost incurred IF the dealer completes the installation. His comment. NO...
However, if this is a bait and switch type situation and they are going to try and charge me $300 for an upgrade, I shall do it myself. At that rate for 10 minutes of work, I'll even do yours too. :)
Bob: You are correct. If you don't need it, then why install it or spend the money.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what the upgrade path would be for those who elect not to do the hardware upgrade? Will there be different versions of software upgrades for the two different chips?
I doubt it. Why would Anthem spend $$ to support two different versions of the same processor? Besides, what software update would you expect if you were still running the old hardware?

I think it's safe to say that if you don't buy-in to the upgrade you will own the same great AVM-20 you currently own.

However, I cannot imagine not wanting to install the upgrade. Not only do you get new bells & whistles now you get access to software upgrades down the road. (Bob, DPL2 is great for non DD television as well...not just good for music).

We all spent ~$3000 for this unit and we all knew an upgrade was coming. What's another $300 to stay current?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
We all spent ~$3000 for this unit and we all knew an upgrade was coming. What's another $300 to stay current?
Simple value assessment for each user, given that the original purchase and associated feature set is clearly decoupled from the upgrade and its feature set. I do agree that any relationship between upgrades further down the road and this upcoming upgrade can affect this analysis.

Doug

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Doug,
I agree, Anthem could support both versions of the DSP. I also agree that this discussion is nothing more than conjecture. However, I maintain SF won't support further upgrades of the current board because due to cost. While I'm sure that cost would be minimal it's still an expenditure they won't be willing to make.
Simple value assessment for each user, given that the original purchase and associated feature set is clearly decoupled from the upgrade and its feature set. I do agree that any relationship between upgrades further down the road and this upcoming upgrade can affect this analysis.
LOL. No offense that is just the funniest 2 sentences I've read in a long time. :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Guys.. This is a bit off the topic, but it seems like a good time to ask the question. Current Anthem owners are browsing this thread frequently and you gents seem to have great input on this unit.

On a scale from 1 thru 10, what should be my expectations be when I connect the Anthem to my current system focuing on sound output alone? How much of an improvement should I expect?

Currently I am using a Sony-STR-DA777ES as a pre/pro connected to the pre-outs.

Paradigm Studio 100's v2
Paradigm Studio 40's v2
Reference Center v2
Earthquake MKIV-12
Sherbourn 5A/1500 - powering fronts and center
Aragon 8002 - powering rears

Thank you,
Charles

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went from a receiver (h/k AVR-7000) to the AVM-20 mated to a Sherwood AM-9080 amp. I can't say for sure how much of the improvement was due to the AVM-20 when the amp was fairly new to my ears too.
However, the improvement over the h/k was startling. I like to play around with MP3 encoding and have a large collection. With the receiver in my system I could not discern the difference between a properly encoded MP3 and the source CD. With the Anthem (and amp) I could not only tell how much better the source CD sounded I was able to distinguish differences in MP3s encoded in different ways.
You're no doubt already used to your amps. The Sony you're replacing was a fine receiver. I don't know how much of an improvement you're going to get. I hope it's substantial though! :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Me too Camp. Me too. :)
When I was talking to the sales rep who is a major two channel junkie, I asked him when I connect this Anthem and its calibrated and ready for action, will I say to myself this was an outstanding investment....
He gave me a yes. However, although the Sony 777ES is not a true pre-pro and this guy cringed when I even mentioned the name Sony, I don't think he is aware of the strenghts of this receiver. It was a damn good piece of equipment in its day.
By the way, when I asked my question, I probably should have started another thread with this topic. I am not trying to hijack someone's topic here. If I offend anyone, I apologize.
Charles

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Camp,
LOL. No offense that is just the funniest 2 sentences I've read in a long time.
No offense taken. Maybe my first sentence was more obvious than it seemed to me when I was writing it. Of course if these upgrades were buried in the original unit, most people would have purchased anyway, myself included. It's much easier to analyze the upgrade for worth after the fact. As for my second sentence, of course one would have to wait to see what the future holds in terms of new features.

Doug

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Currently I am using a Sony-STR-DA777ES as a pre/pro connected to the pre-outs.

Paradigm Studio 100's v2
Paradigm Studio 40's v2
Reference Center v2
Earthquake MKIV-12
Sherbourn 5A/1500 - powering fronts and center
Aragon 8002 - powering rears
Chas_T,

This is scary. I have recently (over the past year) upgraded my system from the Sony STR DA777ES, five Studio 40's, and 2 Servo 15's to:
AVM-20
Bryston 4B-ST
Bryston 6B-ST
Paradigm Studio 100's
3 Paradigm Studio 40's (same as before)
Dual Tempests Sonotube (sold one Servo 15 and put the other with a different system)

I was using my Sony as a pre-pro for about 8 weeks before I got my AVM-20 and I can assure you there was a noticeable improvement. The AVM-20 is quite amazing. I still own my Sony and think it is a great receiver, but it is getting old.

Chris

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
If that sony is like my STR-V555es was, It will be big. I had the sony then moved to onkyo 989 and had a BIG improvement. I have not hooked up the AVM-20 yet (tonight) but am expecting a big improvement.

Marc

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I had my receivers pre-outs connected to a MCA-5 for about a year while researching pre/pros. When I installed the AVM-20 the level of improvement in all categories was significant. To simplify, the sound and the venue in which it was recorded became more "real" or "believable".
With some CD's the sound-stage altered considerably, as if the guys on the stage (performers) had been moved around. I came to realize the emphasis on certain frequencies was no longer there and the presentation of the AVM-20 was more natural.
I would appreciate reading your impressions after you have had a chance to listen critically to your favorite CDs, following the installation of your AVM-20.
Wayne

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Chris, Mark, Wayne, Camp:

Thank you for the feedback to my question. I'm anticipating as what Wayne describes as "the sound and the venue in which it was recorded became more "real" or "believable".

The system I've put together at this point does not satisfy me due to some "holes" that my ears detect.

There are times when the sound reproduction sounds "artificial," "not clean," and inconsistent. Perhaps I am to critical in nature and expecting to much for the investment that I've made.

I am hoping that the AVM-20 will put the icing on the cake as all the ingredients in this "recipe" have been researched and carefully thought out.

I'll be optimistic about the addition of the Anthem when it arrives (2-3 weeks) and say that it is the piece of the puzzle that is missing. I anticipate it smoothing out the edges.

If this does not do the trick, then the next step is to probably change speakers. Considering I've totally revamped my system in a 3-6 month quest, I will need to hold off for a bit before I could jump into a real high end speaker. My budgeted account is about empty.

I'll provide some feedback when the AVM-20 arrives and let you know what my thoughts. Here's a toast to great sound!!

Charles

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
How do you check the firmware version?

Boy does it sound beautiful! Better than I ever imagined. The manual really sucks thought. Tough to find anything out.

Marc

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"How do you check the firmware version?"
Power up your AVM-20, then press the status button on the front panel (the remote may have the status button also). You will see the firmware version, day and time for a few seconds.
"Boy does it sound beautiful! Better than I ever imagined."
Yep! :)
"The manual really sucks thought. Tough to find anything out."
I have seen worse, which is why I find the AVM-20 manual acceptable. But that's why forums like this one are around, to help fellow owners out. :)
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks