AVM-20 upgrade and current O.S.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

First off, just landed one of these wonderful pre/pro's a couple of weeks back and man, am I loving it! Wonderful piece of gear with features, performance and value exceeding its price (particularly if you can find a used one!).

On to the questions at hand...
    Anybody heard anything recently on when the upcoming upgrade will arrive? I understand this is a dealer mod. (vs. sending to manufacturer) - is that correct?

Finally, I read in a post elsewhere that a recent purchaser has operating system 1.16. Mine is 1.10 and the Sonic Frontiers site offers 1.12. Anybody know more about differences between 1.16 and 1.12?

Cheers,
    -Paul

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

The upgrade is a dealer mod. I spoke to Nick at SF on 7/18 and the impression I got was about 4-6 weeks from then. I did not say anthing directl. This is just my interpritation which could be totally off.

I do not know the differences in OS but I do know that some people are reporting a problem with 1.16. If ou have mains set to small, surrounds as dipoles and a 7.1 setup that one of the rears does not produce sound in THXsurrEX decoded materials. Mains set to large does not encounter this problem. SF is aware of it and working on it.

I get mine tomorrow if UPS doesn't blow it again.

Marc

3. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

Ugh..what kind of mod is this. I should be getting mine in the next week or so. I would hate to hook everything up only to have to redo everythinga week or so later.

4. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I feel the same way Mike. It is just switching the DSP board for a new one. Should take all of 15 minutes but a pain take the thing down to bring it in.

Marc

5. Mike Loiterman

When will they be shipping the AV20 with the board already installed? Maybe I'll just wait for the a unit with the baord already installed by the factory.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

The upgrade is to DTS discrete and DPL2. Rumor also has it that the upgrade MAY include THX Ultra 2 processing. It has not been verified yet and cost is to be $300-400 also not confirmed.

8. JerryLang

JerryLang Agent

May I ask: Where did you get your used Anthem, and what did it cost?

9. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

They will ship the units with the new boards at the same time that the upgrade is availible.

Marc

10. Mike Loiterman

But we don't know when this will be? Is it a weeks time frame or a months time frame? And will the units with this new board cost an extra $300-$400 or will the price remain the same?

EDIT: I just reread the thread and saw your (Marc) estimate. Is there anyway of firming this up?

11. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

12. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Chas,
    I hope your dealer didn't charge you the upgraded price. I just called Anthem. I message I got was that internally they are saying mid to late august for upgraded units and kits for existing units. He felt that was not going to hold up and that it would be by the end of summer for sure. He said they are moving slow. So, no units with new DSP boards are shipping yet.

I just talk to my wife. Mine has been delivered!!!!

Good luck
    Marc

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

This is interesting news, Chas! First time I've heard that the new software is actually here.

14. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Well, here is the deal on the upgraded board. If I misunderstood the content, it's been a long day.
    The SOFTWARE upgrade is NOT available. However, again the dealer is telling me that the shipment will have the NEW BOARD/CHIP in the unit, but NOT the new upgraded software.
    Price wise it went like this: I was able to find price ranges of $2200 US to $2912 US. The $2200 US was unfortunately in Canada/BC, which is about 3000 miles from my home. I had to be there in person or have a contact there to buy it for me. It was tempting to try and find someone to do this for me, but I felt the risk was to great in the long run.
    My local US dealers (drive times ranged from 20 minutes to 2 hours)were quoting prices of $2799 to $2913. However, my closest local dealer gave me a final price of $2800 with THE NEW BOARD. I asked time and time again, is the new board in the box and he said, YES.
    I think this guy is a straight shooter. He friggin' better be!!! The gent is the manager of the store and I had them write on the deposit receipt: "With new board." I looked at it from this perspective. If the upgrade is $300, I paid $2500 for the piece and then $300 for the board.
    The decision was a tough one for me only because I felt I paid more then I should have. I am a mail order person 90% of the time and to be frank, frugal in nature. However, in this case, processors/pre/pro's remind me of computers.
    I have the skills to change motherboards, drives, etc. and do the complete change in a pc, but the pre/pro makes me a bit timid.
    I felt that I'd prefer to have the local dealer do any type of changes with boards, patches, etc. and the brick and mortar is very close to my home. Due to leading a busy life as we all do, I'd rather not spend 2-3 hours on the road running back and forth with a piece of equipment if necessary.
    Also, I was not totaly comfortable if I bought it mail order, sending it via mail again if the equipment needed upgrades in the future.
    Perhaps my thought process has some flaws, but in the end after looking and listening to Krell's Showcase and considering the Sunfire Theater Grand III, I decided on the Anthem AVM-20, due to very postive feedback from many reviews and the end users on the Home Theater and AVS forums.
    Marc... Congratulations on your new baby!!! [​IMG]

15. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

I received the following response this morning from Sonic Frontiers to an email I sent over the weekend. SF responses are preceded by ++.

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Chas_T,

I hope yours has the new DSP but I'd be a little doubtful.

Your story is exactly the same as mine. My dealer was so helpful he even called his Anthem rep who ensured him my AVM-20 would contain the new board. Alas, it does not.

Like you I felt I was paying a bit too much for the unit. I got my dealer to agree (in writing) that he would obtain/install the upgrade free of charge to me once available.

17. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Camp and Wayne,
    I sent a mail to Sonic Frontiers, opps, Anthem [​IMG]asking about ordering a new unit and that new pre/pro shipping with the upgradeed BOARD.
    This is Anthem's reply to my mail request.

18. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

'The current chipset is the Crystal CS3110 being replaced by the Motorola? '
    The 'old' DSP is the same motorola chip that is in the B&K ref 30. The DSP board is swapped for the new motorola DSP/board.

If you receipt says w/upgraded board you will get it but I don't think from what I gather from my conversations with the Anthem guys that the initial product you receive will. Your receipt obligates your dealer to get it no charge however. $2800 is not a bad price by any means. I had to make a bunch of calls to different dealers (because there aren't any in Mass) to find a good price. Some would not budge off the SRP, $2900, and the price I got was just a bit lower than yours BUT I didn't get the 'upgrade' clause so do not regret your purchase.

Can I just say that the silver face plate is SO cool looking! The pictures do not do this thing justice. Very solid build quality. A beauty visually. Unfortunately, I wont be hooking it up until the end of the week because I still have to pick up the amps (without my wife killing me in the process). The remote is really nice looking too. More to come on this.
    One last thing. My dealer told me when I ordered it that it would take 3weeks. They had it in hand in just over a week!

Marc

19. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    Chas
    The current chipset is the Motorola DSP56366 which is being replaced by the Motorola DSP56367. These are the details of that chipset from the Motorola website
    DSP56367 : 24-bit Audio Digital Signal Processor
    A new level of affordable audio performance will be within the reach of consumer companies in the audio marketplace thanks to the new Symphony; audio digital signal processor (DSP) chip from Motorola.

With performance of 150 MIPS the DSP56367 provides the capability to process all the major multi-channel audio decoding standards (Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG2 Multichannel and AAC, and DVD-audio) along with Dolby Headphone in a single device. It also allows up to 100 MIPs to handle other audio processing requirements such as subwoofer management, soundfield effects, 3D virtual surrounds, equalization, THX+Surround EX, DTS-ES, Prologic II, and Pacific Microsonics HDCD. The DSP56367 is an enhanced version of Motorola's popular DSP56362/6 products. It offers increased performance in a pin-for-pin compatible device with a core that operates at both 1.8V and 1.5V for reduced power consumption. With the same memory map and peripherals as the DSP56366 that is currently in production, it allows customers an easy migration path to higher performance at lower power.er performance at lower power

The website goes on to say that the chip is currently available.

20. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Chas,

The email I posted was from a sales mgr. I noticed yours is from a service person. If Anthem is anything like the company I work for, the service guys know far more about the existing products, but don't always get as timely information on future products as the sales guys do.
    OTOH, the service guys tell it like it is while the sales guys give you the party line.
    In any case, we should see the upgraded units by summer's end.

Cheers