av1s in sonotube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlexKunec, May 18, 2002.

1. AlexKunec

I just purchased the gr research av1s kit (without enclosure). Would it be alright if I used 8 or 10 inch sonotube as the enclosure? I already have a 24" FRONTFiring tempest sonotube, and I think it would look nice if i carried a common look to all my speakers.

2. Will Pomeroy

I don't think that would be a problem... Just make sure you do a good job sealing around the drivers, I think that would be the hardest part to make look good...

3. Brian Bunge

I'm really not sure how they would work mounted on the end of a 8-10" diameter cylinder. The A/V-1 design calls for a baffle of 8" width, but the cylinder will be 8" at it's widest point. It's possible that this could have a negative affect on them but to what extent I don't know.

Brian

4. jeff lam

Jeff Lam
    You have to get the alignment of the tweeter and woofer correct otherwise they may not perform as they should. This will be difficult to do in a tube unless it's large enough to accomidate both drivers. Danny Richie is probably the only one that can answer this question completely. Contact him.

5. AlexKunec

Contacted Dan at GR. Changing the size of the front baffle will affect response. I guess there is more to speakerbuilding then to subwoofer building.

Thanks

6. Brian Bunge

Alex,

I was pretty sure it would change things quite a bit. The width of the baffle is taken into consideration when designing the crossover. Change the baffle width and you might as well redesign the crossover.

Brian

7. James Mudler

It may take some work, but if you are set on the sono look, build the front baffle per GR specs and mount a sono tube on the back.