What's new

AV15 alignment variations out there? (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
I just wanted to get some opinions from the people out there that have built AV15 based subs. I've mentioned before that I got a great deal on an AV15 and two Stryke PR's. I'm not married to the idea of building a PR'd enclosure but was interested in building either PR'd or sealed. Possibly vented but I wanted something different than my current 214L vented tempest.

What alignments have you guys built for this driver? Wattage is not an issue, I'll buy whatever necessary for the alignment. I am 50% home theater and 50% music. It will be used with my GR-Research AV2's. I'm not really familiar with LT's so it might be interesting to try a sealed enclosure for the experience.

I just wanted to hear your experiences with the alignment you chose.

What would you do with an AV15?

Thanks!

Darren_T

Second Unit
You gotta be kidding me. Nobody has built anything other than the suggested alignments for the Stryke AV15?

I've seen some IB's but that's about it. Very few builds of AV15's.

Oh well.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I have two vented sonotubes. Each tube is 9.3ft^3 tuned around 16.5hz. In my small room I measured a flat response to ~12hz when my SS filter isn't in place. It's the best bass I've ever heard.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Oh well. What did a search reveal?
Pretty much nothing... just a few posts that I've already read before. Lots of info on other drivers etc. but very little discussion on AV series drivers in configurations other that the suggested ones on the Stryke site. I'm most likely gonna go with one of the suggested alignements because they are suggested for a reason but thought I'd explore other options. Might go with my own design but not sure.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I have two vented sonotubes. Each tube is 9.3ft^3 tuned around 16.5hz. In my small room I measured a flat response to ~12hz when my SS filter isn't in place. It's the best bass I've ever heard.
Sounds like a great setup. I considered dropping the AV15 in my current vented Tempest 214L enclosure but am not sure, I would have to plug the plate amp hole as I want to run the recommended 500watts and my plate amp is only 250. Might have to experiment with a sonotube design, could be pretty cool. I like the idea of a flat response to ~12Hz

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i don't know about single, but i'm working on a 530L dual AV15 ported box. 48"Hx24"Wx39"L, going to be a beast of a box tuned to 18-19Hz, haven't quite decided. I am expecting to hit over 125db in room at 18Hz though.

eric

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure which PR's you have, but I like how an AV15 models with dual PR18-1600's in a 350 liter enclosure.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I'm not sure which PR's you have, but I like how an AV15 models with dual PR18-1600's in a 350 liter enclosure.
I have the PR18-1600's. 350 liters? Really? That's kinda HUGE :) Even bigger than my current sub. I am going for a smaller sub.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Darren,

The majority of AV15's I sold were used in one of two applications. The 24" cube with dual 1600gram 18" Pr's was the most common. The second most common was a 4 driver IB install. I think I actually have about 5 people using that configuration.

As far as other configurations go for the PR's, anything larger than 5cf works great. If you only need response down to 22hz or so you can shrink the enclosure down to a 22" cube as well, but need to add a little mass to the PR's. I do have a few people doing an 8cubic foot enclosure with a 6" diameter 25" long vent tuning to 18hz also.

John

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there's always the ever popular way...

Grab WinISD Pro, Input the AV15's, start playing around with volumes and ports (if ported), and then layout an enclosure that matches the volume...

Maybe thats too easy for ya?

Daffy Arthur King

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I prefer Unibox myself. Much better program, IMHO.

Darren, I did build a 225L ported enclosure tuned to around 19Hz with an AV15 for a customer. Turned out pretty good. But damn, it was a big mutha. :)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i bult a huge sub it 740l dual av15 tuned to 17 hz

kicks but. but if i can get 4 of the new subs mkII and mod the box. if you buld it you will love it.

i have 1 queston when i play lotr ring drop sens i get a cherping noise when pushing past 110 db i have a samson s1000. am i overdriveing the sub or cliping the amp?

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I toyed with many different alignments in LspCAD, and finally ended up settling on something very close to the recommended EBS design: 250L tuned to 20Hz. Only 2Hz of creativity. :) I tuned it with a 6" ID PVC pipe.

I didn't look at sealed configurations, but people who have built sealed AV12's have been very pleased. I imagine it would be the same with the AV15.

Interesting observation on amp choice: I built two of these subs... one for my parents powered with a 250W plate amp, and the other for myself powered with a 380W rythmik plate amp. The PE 250W plate amp doesn't get the most out of the sub, but it still rocks my parent's cavernous 2.5 story living room just fine. Actually, rocks the whole house. My rythmik amp does seem to have more oomph, but when it clips, it makes the nastiest noise EVER. The PE amp just sounds distorted when it clips... makes a little bubbly/gurgly sound. The rythmik makes this loud sharp CLACK sound. Scary. It sounds like the driver, but apparently it isn't... you can push in the cone as hard as you like and it will never make contact with anything. (John walked me through troubleshooting the problem.)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Those are some huge subs :) I'm gonna try smaller first so I'll probably build the 24" cube enclosure to start with. MDF is cheap so I'll proabably build 3 more enclosures for fun after that :)

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
You may have already read my alignment which is a 170L (6ft3) tuned to 19.5Hz (quite common I believe). I've tested the tuning but not the subs frequency response yet as I'm in the midst of applying the finish to the cabinet. This will eventually be powered by a 700W pro amp.

I was originally aiming a little higher for the tuning (20 to 21Hz) but I decided to lower it so that my port finishes flush with my interior brace. This allowed me to flare it at both ends, which I believe is necessary given that the vent is only 5.5" in diameter.

Actually my port is much shorter than what was predicted by winISD... which gave me some unexpected results when it came to tuning the box. :b What I'm wondering is which variable caused this port length shift, and will it also make the box behave differently as well? I've experimented with BassBox Pro, and I could get a similar result to what I measured IF a manually adjust the variables in a certain order. The way I figure it is the box is behaving as a slightly larger one, so it might end up giving me just a bit of EBS behaviour in the lower end. Once I get my amp and sub up and running I'll do a series of tests to try the establish this and see how it performs. The differences in any case are minor.

Later...
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks