What's new

AV Receiver DACs better than CD's ? (1 Viewer)

Mark Robillard

Auditioning
Just purchased a Sony SCD-C555ES, and the quality of the sound seems better through the optical out to my receiver than the analog. I connected 2 other CD players via digital(Sony and Yamaha), Both had a very flat and lifeless sound. My panasonic RP-56 and the new 555 have a better sound connected digital than when connected using the analog outputs. I'm assuming the transports on the RP-56 and 555 are better than the old Sony and Yamaha Changers, but is it possible that my receiver has better DACs than my new Sony SCD-C555ES?

Old cd changers:
Sony CDP-715 Changer (10-years old)
Yamaha CDC-685 Changer

My System:

Yamaha RX-V3300
Sony SCD-C555ES
Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Paradigm Monitor 11 v3
Paradigm PW-2200
Paradigm CC-370 v3
Paradigm ADP-370 v3
Paradigm Micro

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Tough to say without accurately matching the output levels. Did you find the sound was louder one way than the other?

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Also, what mode were you listening in for your comparison?
"Direct" mode? "stereo" mode? multi-channel?
Unless you were listening in 'stereo direct' and using the analog connections, chances are your receiver's ADC/DAC's were coming into play regardless of the connection method.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When I compared the DAC's in my Sony SCD-C555ES player with those in my Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver, I preferred the Sony sound. It was smoother and fuller, and did not have the "digital edge" (for lack of a better term) sound of the receiver. In my case, I compared CD's via the 5.1 channel analog input (Sony player DACs) vs. the DIRECT mode (Pioneer Elite DACs via digital optical cable). Both methods bypass all receiver digital signal processing.

Btw, before upgrading to the SCD-C555ES, I preferred the Pioneer Elite's DAC's over those in my 7-8 year old entry level Sony 5-disc carousel player.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Mark,

I just wanted to make a quick comment regarding the "old" Yamaha CDC-685 changer you referred to. Unfortunately, I just had to sell this changer due to the purchase of a CX1, but I did like it very much. I did some direct comparisons between the Yamaha DAC's and Denon DCM-370's, and actually preferred the Yamaha sound better. I thought it did a good job with music. And, yes, it was hooked up via analog to my 45TX using the Direct mode. Just trying to stick up for the Yamaha a little, that's all. Oh, and it is actually Yamaha's current flagship CD changer, not an older model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks