What's new

Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State.....PBS....Did anyone see this?? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to veer off-topic. What follows isn't meant in any way to be a rant, just a bit of cultural explanation. If you're not interested, please skip to the next post where I have a comment that's on topic. ;)

Er, no it wasn't. The theme was 'home and colonial' (which in itself is offensive to a lot of modern Brits). So to add insult to injury, the daft twerp [another Brit insult meaning 'idiot'] wasn't even appropriately dressed.

The Brits have what can seem a strange attitude to Nazism. We're only too happy to make fun of the Nazis and present them as comic monstrosities. However, any sign of simply playing Nazis as themselves is seen as appallingly bad form. Most shops that sell fancy dress will refuse point blank to hire out conventional Nazi uniforms, unless they're for a play or film. People wearing a Nazi uniform to a party or in the street would normally stand a good chance of being beaten up (no, not something I would condone). The fact that Prince Harry was at a private party makes his gaffe even worse in the eyes of the Brits because it's assumed that he was doing what he really wanted to do, assuming that he'd be safe from the public eye.

Plus on top of this it was the latest in a series of incidents that portray PH as an insensitive upper-class twit revelling in money and a cosy lifestyle he hasn't done a single thing to earn. [This often comes as a shock to Americans, but Brits aren't in the main royalty-lovers. Most have been happy with the Queen because she's dignified and has worked hard. However, with only a few exceptions, the younger royals are seen as work-shy parasites].

Oh yes, and 'pillock' is an insult. It basically means someone who does something stupid because they cannot be bothered to stop and think about the consequences of their actions. ;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It's something that Brits try to forget, and it's only in recent years that we've really been able to face up to it. There's no indication that the police in question did anything to abuse their station (e.g. they didn't rob the deportees) and I guess if they hadn't done it they knew they'd be shot themselves or the SS would have taken over the policing of the islands. In other words, the co-operation was often pragmatic rather than enthusiastic as in some other parts of occupied Europe. However, it still makes uncomfortable viewing.

LewB

Screenwriter
In last night's (final?) show they spent some time going into the fact that the allies knew where the camp and rail lines were, yet rejected the idea of a bombing mission to knock out the rail service or the camp itself. One bombing mission hit an installation less than 5 miles away from the camp. A survivor said they were praying for the allies to bomb the place.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
What I saw of the series was excellent, but missed the last part due to a schedule disruption.

There is a series on PBS now (2 episodes so far) that deals with the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands (presumably it has already aired in the UK) but is set on a fictional island ("St. Gregory") In this show some of the islanders cooperate with the occupation to varying degrees and some to try to resist in (mostly) small ways.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes

My apologies; the news report got it wrong (what are the odds). I respecfully withdraw my defense.

Tivo recorded parts 2 and 3 last night. My son is out with the Boy Scouts this weekend. He knows that he has this to look forward to on Monday.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I don't have cable and this is the first I've heard of the show. I'll definately get the DVD. I'm well read on the subject and plan on going to Auschwitz later in the year.

But about the bombing of Auschwitz; I don't think it would have made a serious difference. Any damage done by an air raid would have been quickly repaired, meaning only a sustained campaign would have had a real impact. The Allies didn't have the resources to devote to Auschwitz when the outcome of the war was far from clear at the time. And even if production at Auschwitz were seriously hampered, the people would be send to other death camps instead.

jeremy

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you can receive the (H)DTV feeds from your local PBS station, the odds of seeing it again are actually quite good. My local station (WETA-26) played it on 26-1, while showing its regular fare ("Tucker Carlson" -- ick) on the analogue feeds.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I recorded the last episode on WETA on early Saturday morning. WETA has a deal with COMCAST which distributes WETA's over-night feed when regular over the air broadcasting ceases. Allows me to catch missing episodes of "Frontline" and other docs that may interfere with other recordings and viewing.

The last episode was great and tied everything up. I still can't get over how matter of fact some of the surviving SS members talk about their participation, even if they didn't actually "pull the trigger".

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I have this recorded on my HDTivo from the national PBS HD feed. Havne't gotten to watch it, but I'm looking forward to it.

Peace,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks