Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State.....PBS....Did anyone see this??

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JoshB, Feb 2, 2005.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I caught the last half hour or so of a 6 part PBS documentary made by the BBC called "Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State" It seems PBS made almost no effort at all to promote it because I was unaware of it before tonight. From what I saw of it, this seemed like a massive and amazingly put together series that covers the event through interviews and accounts from survivors and witnesses.

Did anyone else happen to catch this when it aired the past few weeks? I'd love to see it again, and I heard the DVD of it will be released in a 2-Disc set in March.

Also, it was shown it 1.78:1 widescreen alos for those who might be wondering.

Any thoughts?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I saw the last 2 hours of it tonight. I consider myself an amateur Holocaust buff, having seen countless specials, read a few books about it and I toured the site of the Warsaw Ghetto while in Poland. I am fascinated by it, not in a macabre way, but to see why it happened and possibly see a way to prevent genocide in the future. Even though I only saw the last 2 hours, which covered 1944 (the extermination of Hungarian Jews, which was the height of efficiency of Auschwitz-Birkenau, up to 10000 souls a day) through to the end of the camp and beyond, I found this was the most detailed, researched and heartbreaking special I've ever seen. It pulled no punches and delved into things I had never heard of before. As an example, did anyone know Adolph Eichmann tried to broker a deal with Budapest's leading Jewish activist to trade 1 million Hungarian Jews to the Allies in exchange for 1000 trucks to be used on the Russian front? Neither did I. Eichmann did make a deal to put 1600 Budepest Jews on a train to Switzerland at the price of $1000 American each. Of course the bastard routed the train through Bergen-Belsen where they were detained for 6 months first.

Absolutely fascinating series and I hope it is available on DVD soon!

3. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
  4. andrew markworthy

It's still being broadcast on the BBC over here (I think there's a couple more episodes to go). This isn't meant to sound big-headed, but there's nothing in it so far that I didn't know. However, it is still gripping, and for anyone ignorant of the Holocaust (like our dim-witted Prince Harry) this should be mandatory viewing. It'd be wrong to say that I'm 'enjoying' the series, but I think that it's amongst the best documentaries the BBC has ever produced.

5. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I'm just shocked that PBS would let a documentary like this slip under our radar without having advertise it more, and I just found out about it when it was almost over. Luckily, I caught the end of it, and I'm pretty sure it more than made up for what I had missed.

6. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    I have seen parts one and two, and Tivo is watching for the remaining parts. Sobering and shocking, but I think it missed its target of try to find a reason for why.

I am making my 13-year-old watch it too.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I saw the first hour on PBS HD and it looked stellar, but I had to go to bed and wasn't able to catch the rest... but I'm definately picking up the DVDS.

8. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"I am making my 13-year-old watch it too..."

Bless your heart Hugh. Dang good idea.

I learned something quite new in the piece of the show I inadventently stumbled onto a week or two ago. It was how 95% of the Jewish population of Denmark was evacuated to Sweden with the help of ordinary citizens and officials putting their own lives on the line. How I admire the Danes. I hopped onto Amazon the next day and bought 2 books about the event.

Denmark was the only country to save the vast majority of its Jewish population.

9. andrew markworthy

I wondered about letting my 11-year old son watch it (he's 'doing' WWII at the moment at school) but I thought he was a bit too young. He knows about the Holocaust in broad detail but I'll leave it a bit longer before showing him such a detailed programme.

10. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Oh, absolutely. Me and my bride, who watched it separately.

Andrew, I think that you are probably right to wait for your 11 year old. There is a huge difference between the maturity and comprehension level of 11 and 13. Plus, obviously, different kids are different. My son at 11, wouldn't have been able to sleep after an installment of this. Nothing shown was graphic, but the descriptions and the theater of the mind are enough.

Besides the mind-numbing, incomprehensible brutality of those events, the holocaust is the landmark event of the 20th century, changing the direction of world events through today. Without the holocaust, there is no Israel. Without Israel, Wahabiism wouldn't have an audience. Without Wahabiism, there is no September 11. Without September 11, there is no War on Terror. Without the War on Terror, Saddam Hussein still rules Iraq.

Moderators and fellow posters: PLEASE NOTE. I am not voicing approval or disapproval of the latter events, simply laying out an argument that shows how the world-shaping events of the 1940s continue to dramatically affect our world today.

11. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"Incidentally, did the sight of the Nazi collaborators and ex-SS men still alive today and showing no remorse fill anyone else with an urge to throw something at the TV set"

I try to walk a careful line on things like this. I believe Presentism is ill-advised (judging past events by current attitudes) ... I believe I would be and behave like the Danes but truth be told, none of us knows how we would act or react when every action and reaction can result in our arrest, torture, death .... In other words, not having walked in their moccasins, I try not to judge their actions.

Now, I'm not talking about the guards or SS officers, but "collaborator" eventually runs into a gray area: is the prisoner who works in "Canada" stealing a bit of money or food to stay alive, is that person morally wrong? How about one who sleeps with an officer? Very tricky areas in which to judge people.

But yeah, that white-haired ex-SS scumbag ... yeah, my partner was screaming at the tv and I was chilled and appalled. A phrase comes to mind ... something about "the utter banality of evil." Who said that?

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I am not even sure that PBS itself is promoting the series. Here, in Los Angeles, it's one of the local PBS stations, KCET-Channel 28, that is promoting the series. So, I suppose the same is happening to all the other areas getting to view it. But PBS itself does not seem involved.

13. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes
    The only reason I knew of it was that that the TV critic in our local paper reviewed it.

14. andrew markworthy

Brit coverage has been rather better. I think the fuss over Prince Harry (who, I must add, is a complete pillock and in no way representative of most Brits) threw the series into high relief.

15. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

I'm not sure what a pillock is in American English [​IMG] , but I actually have to run to the kid's defense on this one. That incident got a lot of press on the celebrity tabs here, but one report went on to say that he was at a costume party whose theme specifically was "historical villians" or something like that. If that report was accurate, I take no offense at anyone wearing a nazi uniform, complete with swastika.

16. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I don't disagree with what he wore either, even if it was appropriate for the event and I do agree it was blown out of proportion a little bit, but the timing of it wasn't the best, since it nearly coincided with the anniversary of the camp's liberation. He should have put a little more thought into it, plus a person in his place should have a little more common sense than something like that would obviously be seen and expoilted to the fullest extent of the media.

17. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I've been watching the series the last two weeks and got halfway through last night's episode before heading for bed. I'll watch the last hour tonight.

A well done series with more detail of the camp than I had been aware of. The CG representations of an intact Auschwitz are particularly chilling.

Rob

18. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I managed to watch the first four hours and have been blown away. Like it was noted above in a previous post, the series brings out facts that I never knew. The German occupation of the Channel Islands was something I knew very little of and the thought of "Bobbies" helping the Germans round up foreign Jews was disconcerting, to say the least.

I normally don't care for dramatic recreations of actual events but it did help the show's narrative.

19. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    If I would have known this was going to be on to begin with, I would have taped it somehow, but now it looks liek I will have to wait until March for the DVD.

20. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    A friend mentioned it to me while I was moving that the show would be on, so it has gotten a little promotional mention, though she (like me) have only broadcast stations (though I have the HD versions, too, since... well, obviously) and our perspectives could be a little skewed.