What's new

Aunt wants to overhaul sound system - advice? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My aunt has a 1990 Nissan Maxima with a Bose (yes, I know) system installed. It's basically dead - when you turn it on, all you can hear is static. She wants to spend as little as possible on a new sound system since the car is already so old, so anything of decent quality will do. Circuit City listed some Pioneer speakers with good or great customer reviews that will fit in her car, and it looks like Buy.com has the best price for them. $32 for 4x6's and $57 for 6x9's. I saw a post in another thread that Pioneer isn't bad, but you can probably get better speakers for the money. Any specific suggestions (not just the brand, but the model) for my aunt? How about amplifier and/or deck suggestions?

Also, I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to car audio, but I'm assuming the 4x6's will be placed on the two front doors and the 6x9's will be placed in the rear behind the back seats. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
if she's not looking for anything spectacular then the pioneer would be great, even more so at those prices. and yes the 4x6 would be door/front dash and the 6x9 would be rear deck

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks! How about this for the in-dash deck? Are the deck and speakers all I should need to replace?

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
That would be a great deck for your aunt. It's easy to use, as are most pioneer decks, so it will be user friendly. Yes that should be all you need to replace, just make sure you have the correct faceplate adapter, wiring harness, and if you'll need an radio antenna adapter(due to the fact that it's a "foreign" car, even though nissan is almost all american made now.) crutchfields website can tell you what you'll need for each.

www.crutchfield.com

Chad_K

Grip
Real Name
Chad Kemp
Thomas I was an installer at Best Buy for eleven years so I might be helpful. First of all the front doors have a 4" round speaker in it. The non Bose systems have the 4x6. You will also have to bypass all of the factory Bose amps that are built on to each speaker. Make sure if you are doing this yourself to buy a wiring harness adaptor and antenna adaptor and a adaptor kit because these will make the job a lot easier. Also if you dont have much experience doing this kind of work find someone who does. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't want to install the equipment myself. If I take the deck and the speakers to Best Buy, Circuit City or other places that can install the equipment, should I expect to pay around $200 for parts and labor?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks