What's new

August 19th for that Bob Fosse classic musical... (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think we should be happy that the film is being released at all. Sometimes we film buffs get the notion that owning a particular film is a right instead of a privilege. There are many flims that will never see the light of day on our beloved shiny discs. Just because ATJ wasn't released on the day you wanted it to be shouldn't be a reason for not purchasing it when it does come out. All that does is tell the studios that people aren't interested in those types of flims and lowers the chances of other films of that type getting released.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

Amen. To all of you who aren't buying this because it was delayed, just read what this guy says, and maybe you'll understand that it's not a good idea. Not buying it because the studio didn't release it when you wanted them to just makes you look like a bunch of (dare I say it) whiny, spoiled brats.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I think we should be happy that the film is being released at all. Sometimes we film buffs get the notion that owning a particular film is a right instead of a privilege. There are many flims that will never see the light of day on our beloved shiny discs. Just because ATJ wasn't released on the day you wanted it to be shouldn't be a reason for not purchasing it when it does come out.
:emoji_thumbsup: Now there's a man with some sense.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Q4 2002 release was, AFAIK, supposed to tie in with the THEATRICAL release of Chicago...I dunno why they delayed it
The reason for the delay was in the part of my post that you quoted.

"it was pulled from its position in the release queue because of the possibility of adding some additional extras (That did not pan out)"

I believe somewhere in the HTF archives there is a quote from the Fox representative to bear this out.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
And how did Fox come to own this, anyway? When I saw it on Bravo, it opened with a logo for Columbia...
Fosse went overbudget with the movie, and the powers that be at Columbia started to think the movie would never get finished. According to one of the biographies I've read about Fosse, the studio was particularly miffed when the director would shut down production in order to spend a few days perfecting dance segments. Eventually, Columbia closed the picture down and told Fosse to edit what he had and finance whatever still needed to be shot. Thus, a deal with Fox was struck, and the two studios presented the movie jointly. On the clapboards in the "hospital fantasy" sequences, it says Columbia Pictures, but AFAIK Fox has always been the distributor on home video.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Betcha, come August 18th-19th no one chooses to buy "ALL THAT JAZZ" over this year's best picture winner "CHICAGO"
I will, since I didn't think much of CHICAGO. :)

This will be a better release than the R2 PAL release since it will not have the PAL-speedup problem. I prefer my films in their original running times and not time-compressed.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This will be a better release than the R2 PAL release since it will not have the PAL-speedup problem
For those of you with "golden ears" who can tell the difference I guess that is the way to go. I don't notice any difference, so I'll stick with my R2 DVD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen this film. But I've heard a few things about the DVD: Fox had a tough old time restoring it - the the elements were apparently in bad shape. But the restoration is said to be superb.

I might check this out when the DVD is released.

It's a real drag when a DVD release gets delayed for unknown reasons - I was pretty disappointed when Ruscico's/Image's release of WAR AND PEACE was delayed, but it was for a good reason.

Once I finally get your hands on delayed-release DVDs, the next day, I wonder why I bitched about it so much as the elation of finally getting them often makes it that much sweeter! And ALL THAT JAZZ will be a fine release, I'm sure. :)

Gordy

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'd wager that the R2 and R1 discs will be made from the same high-def master so I don't know what happened between the restoration Ron saw and the R2 DVD, but it doesn't really look that spectacular. It looks like a 20-year-old movie. It's nice and sharp with decent colours and very little damage, but there's a constant layer of age-related grain over much of the film. Don't get me wrong - it looks great for what it is, but don't raise your hopes too astronomically high.

Fox has released a couple of R2-only exclusives - another one is Vanishing Point, a great movie.

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I didn't locate this thread, before I launche my own. Thanks for the heads up Jerr_HR.
Personally, I just glad that ATJ is coming out at all.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd wager that the R2 and R1 discs will be made from the same high-def master so I don't know what happened between the restoration Ron saw and the R2 DVD, but it doesn't really look that spectacular. It looks like a 20-year-old movie. It's nice and sharp with decent colours and very little damage, but there's a constant layer of age-related grain over much of the film. Don't get me wrong - it looks great for what it is, but don't raise your hopes too astronomically high.
I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews of this film here. I'd love to see one comparing the video presentation of the R1 version & the R2 & R4 versions, to see if your thoughts are confirmed or not.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Quote:
I understand the frustration of waiting for a title, but not buying it when it comes because you don't like the delay seems a case of cutting off one's nose to spite the face, y'know? Maybe this is easy for me to say, since I'm multi-region and have had "All That Jazz" for a long time already. Still, the realities of marketing are what they are and aren't limited to "All That Jazz"- Fox timed their "Flint" movies to coincide with the third Austin Powers movie, for instance.

ALL THAT JAZZ - not one of my favorite films, so I was on the fence about purchasing in the first place (since many other titles I wanted weren't available when ATJ was first announced I figured maybe I'd pick it up)When it was delayed the 1st time I rented it on VHS and realized I didn't want to own it. So not cutting off anything. Just pissed the other titles were held up becuase they were tied to the ATJ promotion.

FOX mentioned these films over three years ago and kept pushing the date back because of ATJ, they should have just released the others way back when, instead of holding them all up to tie in with ATJ. Besides the best time to release ATJ was when CHICAGO 1st opened in movie theaters, now it looks like FOX is just trying to compete with Miramax.

There are now about 20 titles announced that will be purchased, leaving ATJ sitting on the retailer's shelf along with "The Rose" (don't really care about that one either.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't get me wrong - it looks great for what it is, but don't raise your hopes too astronomically high.
I would!

I have seen the transfer along with a few
other lucky HTF membes of this forum who saw
the restored print at Fox Studios last year.

It looks TREMENDOUS!

Let me tell you something about this film....

It was on the verge of being lost forever.
The original elements were in god-awful shape.
What the studio has done with the transfer of
All That Jazz is nothing short of amazing.

Tell you what, read this report I filed...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/rons...lthatjazz.html

I hope to have a screener of the film very soon.
Fox had promised me a very early copy. I am
looking forward to reporting back to all of you
shortly.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I would!

I have seen the transfer along with a few
other lucky HTF members of this forum who saw
the restored print at Fox Studios last year.

It looks TREMENDOUS!

Let me tell you something about this film....

It was on the verge of being lost forever.
The original elements were in god-awful shape.
What the studio has done with the transfer of
All That Jazz is nothing short of amazing.
If in comparison to the R2 & R4 versions the R1 transfer turns out to be significantly better, I have no problems with re-purchasing the film. But the R1 transfer has to be really better.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

same here.
the R4 looks good for a 20+ year old film, but it doesn't look like Below or Gladiator or even Quest For Fire.
iirc, the film uses a fairly grainy stock, and the blacks were sometimes less than inky.
i found the disc to look perfectly enjoyable, but i don't pull this out as a reference disc.
not even as reference for a 70's film.

but maybe there was some more tweaking done to it :eek:

but i kind of doubt that.
for what its worth, i don't notice the speed up either, but then again, i don't have this soundtrack etched in my brain either.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I share Ron's excitment about this film. For a long time, it was in my top 3 all time, and I'd get it on DVD no matter what the quality.
It's been a long time, so maby it won't rate as high these days, but at least we're seeing some light about it.

Anybody else notice Midnight Run is coming with a new transfer?

Eric

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Quote:

Patience is usually rewarded and I suspect it definitely *will* be in this case. I saw the restored print in LA and it looked spectacular. Fox has really gotten behind restoration and I'll always wait for a film that's worth waiting for.

Yeah, if the format was to stay around for the next ten years, but HD is coming, it is, is really is!
:b

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we should be happy that the film is being released at all. Sometimes we film buffs get the notion that owning a particular film is a right instead of a privilege. There are many flims that will never see the light of day on our beloved shiny discs. Just because ATJ wasn't released on the day you wanted it to be shouldn't be a reason for not purchasing it when it does come out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you guys kidding? The studios make millions off of their home video sales - on many films that use to take up space in their warehouses collecting limited revenue in tv sales. Certain films only go into production because Home Video revenue is factored into the production/break even cost.

The studios are the one's who are priviedged to get our money in DVD sales:D

And, uh guys, lighten up, I'm not telling you NOT to buy the disc. With HD coming in the near future I've gotten selective on the titles I buy. If it is a film I might want, I'll wait until HD (which should be around a lot longer then DVD). If it is a film I really want, then I'll buy it. Just so happens "All That Jazz" isn't one of those films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks