What's new

AudioQuest cables (1 Viewer)

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,

I too am still waiting for a link to the results of one of these tests, or could someone please fax it to me. Please email me for fax number.

Thanks,
Jeff

PS: Lee, if someone can happen to send one to you, please forward it to me.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Cable discussions these days tend to be MUCH more civil (than some of the old flaming threads).
Thanks, everyone. :)

Robert D

Grip
Hello again,
Thanks for all the replies! Chu Gai I do indeed have a hearing problem (acoustic trauma), which is one reason I would like to go to better speaker cable. If I can hear more info and more detail at lower Dbs than I will consider getting the "Slates".
For whats its worth when I replaced my Monster interconnects (M Series) with Audioquest "Vipers" I did notice a difference. A difference enough to substantiate me keeping the "Vipers".
The argument my A/V salesman (Whos been reliable)is your system is only as good as its weakest link. The monster wire is my weakest link, so instead of getting Lex, B&W, Krell quality Im only getting monster quality . However he also said the "slates" would be about a 30% increase in quality, which seems alot. Thanks again for the replies and any further input!!
Rob

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Robert with the utmost respect, IMHO, a proper evaluation requires some way to do two things:
1) disguise the identity of the cables to the listener
2) a method of ensuring that levels are matched
1 is easy to do with the aid of a friend or two.
2 for practical purposes can be done by checking the voltage at the speaker terminals using a VOM and a 1 kHz signal. Ideally 3 frequencies would be checked. In any event, you've certainly been provided with points to consider from both camps so to speak.
I do tend to disagree with the salesman's position, as its been my experience that we, regardless of hearing abilities, are our own weakest links.
The best to you in your search of sonic perfection :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, if you'd like a list of publications, some of which you may have to use your local library and arrange for inter-library loan if you're not of the mindset to drop 5-10 for a reprint, I'll be happy to send you a list for your consideration. In lieu of that please consider reading another thread in this particular form called "can you hear the differnce?"

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure with a little bit of effort you can dig these up.

"Flying Blind", Nousaine, Tom, A case against long term listening,Audio, Mar 97, pg 26-30.

"Can you Trust Your Ears?", Nousaine, Tom, Stereo Review, Aug 97, pg 53-55.

"Can you Trust Your Ears?", Nousaine, Tom, Presented at the 91st AES Convention, Oct 91, Print #3167

"The Science of Listening", Masters, Ian G., Audio Dec 97, pg 40-47.

"Ten Years of A/B/X Testing", Clark, David L., Presented at the 91st AES Convebntion, Oct 91, Print #3167.

"High-Resolution Subjective Testing Using a Double-Blind Comparator", Clark, David, Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol30, no 5, May82, pg 330-338.

"The Wire and Cable Scene: Facts, Fictions and Frauds", Aczel, P. The Audio Critic, Part I- Issue 15, Spring-Winter 90-91; Part II-Issue 16, Spring-Fall 91, pg 51-57; Part III- issue 17, Winter 91-92, pg.50-52.

I trust you'll make some effort to at least obtain one of them and read through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks