What's new

Audax A652 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Has anyone built this kit? I am interested in how these puppies sound. Looks like they use pretty high quality drivers. Are they worth $650.00 for parts and lumber?

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
I haven't heard the A625's but I did build the Audax HT L&R mains and like them. They were designed more for HT and I can attest to that. They have a much more controlled dispersion pattern than a music only speaker.
I don't know if you have seen this or not but you should check it out. This is a link to the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity website were one of the guys built them and shares his experience and opinions on the A652's.
Link Removed
Let us know what you decide.
Brian
Oh yeah, I don't think it'll cost ya $650 to build them.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Brian, I posted the original question after actually building the kit. I guess I wanted to get some positive reviews which would help me feel good. I wasn't sure if this kit , even after listening to the speakers, had a quality sound or was worth the money I spent. I don't have any reference to what is quality sound. I have a pair of Cerwin-Vega VS-10 speaks and I believe they are not very detailed and harsh sounding. I guess I have to get out to the high-end dealers and listen.

Well, after listening for two weeks I do have some opinions.

When I first sat down to listen I thought they sounded bright. They hurt my ears on some probably less than stellar recordings, mainly 80's hair band stuff. They definately sounded better than the Cerwin-Vega's with much more detail and clarity. I don't have a lot of adjectives when it comes to describing sound so I'll try my best. The better recordings I have (Pink Floyd, Diana Krall) sound super detailed and clear. I'm using an older Kenwood receiver with 100 watts/ch.

This last weekend I took the A652's over to a friends house. He is running the Rotel amp with 200 watts/ch and the 986 pre/pro. What a huge difference in sound from his gear. The A652's had a fuller sound and can play real loud. My friend has a pair of JM Labs Cobalt 816 speakers which we compared and the A652's sounded better in my opinion. They we were not as bright, had more detail, and were able to handle more power without distoting. I believe he paid around $1200.00 for the JM Lab speaks.

I guess after comparing his system with mine I feel much better about the A652's. I think they need more time to break in and I expect them to get smoother. I think I need a better amp though to get the full potential of the A652's.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Also, I started building the Audax center channel and surrounds last week and am waiting on the hardware. I'll let you know what I think when they are complete. I think that along with the A652's the home theater will kick some serious a$$. I have a Velodyne 1012 sub so the low end is covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks