What's new

Athena Speakers / Receiver (1 Viewer)

JasonIs

Agent
I went to Best Buy 2 weeks ago to try and find some speakers for music and HT. The Athena AS-F2 sounded great. I thought that they sounded way better than the Klipsch and Bose, and others that Best Buy carries. So I decided to purchase them and per the recommendation of the salesman, I purchased the Klipsch KSW-10 and the Yamaha 5590 Receiver. I have a very large great room and the Klipsch KSW-10 just can not fill the room with the kind of base i am looking for, so after a bunch of research I ordered the SVS PB2+ :D and it should be here in about 2 weeks, they are on 5 week backorder when I placed my order. Ok now the receiver, the Yamaha 5590 sounded very clear with the speakers but when turning up the sound levels on music, it was very "in your face", very bright sounding on vocals. I tried to like it, but I couldnt take it for long periods of listening. I guess Yamahas are bright sounding receivers and dont pair well with Athena speakers. So I went to circuit city and bought the Harman Kardon avr525. WOW what a difference. Now the sound is great :D , very natural sounding, not bright at all, I had read that Harman Kardon is a warmer receiver and now I see why and agree. I do hear the fan coming on but its not annoying. Before switching receivers I went to a local audio dealer to listen to Paradigm speakers, they had the monitor and studio series. I listened to the Studio 60, 80, 100. The 80 is terrible, muddled in the middle, the 60 and 100 are nice, but for the price that they cost, $1200, and $2400, I dont think they sounded that much better than my athenas, if at all. Then the guy played a mcintosh speaker through mcintosh amps, and wow can you hear the difference but it will cost you $3000 for the speakers and $5000 for the amp, so I think ill stay with the athenas. Now i am going to get the athena c1 center, and asb2 rears. Any comments or recommendations on improving my system would be appreciated.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Please post a review of the AS-C1 center speaker when you get it. I thought it sounded somewhat muffled compared to the clarity of the Athena floorstanders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks