What's new

At last - Robin & Marian 1.85:1 16x9 7/16 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
A hugely underrated elegiac movie, Robin and Marian comes to DVD:
Arriving two weeks later on 7/16 is the swashbuckling adventure Robin and Marian, starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. Thankfully, the disc is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with an English mono track and bonus trailers. Retail is $24.95.
From DVDFile
Here’s a shot of the (proposed?) R2 cover:
102475m.jpg

Hopefully they will go back to the original theatrical artwork for the region one release.
Sean, if you’re reading this ;) Please record a commentary track for this fine movie.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW!, Ian Holm is in this too.
I just may have to buy this sight unseen:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Excellent!

I haven't seen this wonderful picture since its initial release in the '70s. I am pre-ordering as soon as possible.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
WOW!, Ian Holm is in this too.
As is Robert Shaw! :emoji_thumbsup:
This is an unusual take on the Robin Hood legend, dealing with him and his men long after their prime. It's highly entertaining and even moving. Great performances from Connery and Hepburn. For those who haven't seen it, if you enjoy this type of thing or these actors don't hesitate to check it out.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
This is a Region 1 release, right? If so, then there is a God, as this is one of my most wanted DVDs!

Am I the only one who thinks Robin and Marian is Richard Lester's best film? Lots of people dismiss it, but it's an extremely poignant piece of cinema. In addition to the superb cast, Robin and Marian is also blessed with one of John Barry's most beautiful scores (I encourage you all to pick up the recent Silva re-recording) and one of the most disturbingly realistic swordfights on film. I'm thrilled that this masterpiece is coming to DVD.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Resurrecting a pretty old thread, but after finishing Errol Flynn's ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD this movie came to mind. What is the quality of the picture like? Does the film hold up? When I first saw this film years ago, I thought it was an interesting take on the Robin Hood legend. I vaguely remember this movie having a really good score.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Confused here. - just went all through DVDfile and find no mention of it. They have disc updates for this past thursday and one for today(Sunday) but neither have anything about robin and Marian. What other titles were mentioned with this. Why would Columbia announce anything now for next july?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, the movie was released on DVD last year. That is what I meant by resurrecting a pretty old thread. I was curious what the transfer quality was like on the movie. I started thinking about the film after I finished watching Flynn's ROBIN HOOD.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have this dvd, the transfer is fair at best but watchable, certainly not as good as Flynn's Robin Hood but not as bad as the original release of the Costner version.

Of course pq is subjective. What I'd describe as fair might be unacceptable to many and quite decent to others.

On a scale of strictly pq, with something like Shrek, Hulk, Nemo at the top (100) and the original Costner Robin Hood, original Enigma release, or Outland at the bottom (0) I'd give Robin and Marian about a 40, or 20 points lower than, say, The Lion in Winter.

While it was a good film, I'd strongly recommend you rent it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks