Aswang - B movie horror fun

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JayF, Sep 28, 2003.

1. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

With current releases like Cabin Fever & House of 1,000 Corpses going after the "70s" feel, here's a fun little independent horror film from 1994 that actually delivers on some good chills and laughs and easily fits into the same camp. Based on a Philipino vampire legend about vampires sucking the blood out of unborn children, this was a surprisingly entertaining low budget flick. Just recently released by a company called Mondo Macabre, I found it yesterday at Best Buy. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a fun, nasty thrill.

2. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I was considering this, I love horror movies, and the stranger the better.
    I might take a look around for it...
    Is the disk good quality?

3. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

The film is a little grainy in places, but considering how low budget this was I don't think it's terrible. There are a few places where the audio drops, but again, given the source I think they did a pretty good job.

4. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

Mondo Macabro is, side by side with Blue Underground, one of the best companies releasing obscure horror movies on DVD.

You should check the UK branch of MM, www.mondomacabro.co.uk

5. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I had this on day 1. some of the early un-rated discs ended up with the r rated label. if the wrist sucking scene and both commentaries are there....then it's un-rated. I contacted mondo HQ that same day to see what was up. label screw up is what I was told. the original stories about the Aswang creature are very cool....if you look up the folklore.

6. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this a few days ago, but have not yet watched it. Mondo Macabro is an interesting little company. Aswang is their third U.S. release, following Alucarda and The Diabolical Doctor Z. I can hardly wait for their next release, The Living Corpse, a Pakistani vampire film from the sixties!