What's new

Aspect Ratio of Vertigo (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up the collector's edition DVD, noting that it presents the movie in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, I pulled out my old anniversary edition widescreen VHS tape (transfered at to VHS using the same restored print used to create the DVD), and it listed the following on the back cover: 'the film... is presented in the 2.1 aspect ratio of the original 65 millimeter interpositive'.
Does anyone have an explanation: know why these ratios differ, and which is the correct one?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Leaving aside what's printed on the VHS and DVD boxes, do the tape and disc versions appear to have different aspect ratios?
Paging Robert Harris . . .
M.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The AR of "V" is 1.85:1 regardless of what the packaging tells you.
RAH

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
What are the chances of an ANAMORPHIC version of this classic?... Anyone in the know?
"Ozzie keeps his fingers crossed."

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Paul-
Just in case you don't know, Robert Harris
was one of the primary restorers of Vertigo
so you cannot ask for a better authority on the
proper framing of Vertigo.
Mark

Chuck Blair

Agent
Vertigo has been released in an anamorphic edition. Unfortunately for most, it's a region 2 PAL DVD. This anamorphic DVD is quite lovely. I thought the US release was very good when I got it, but now I find it hard to watch. One more reason I encourage any DVD fan to find a way to get a Malata N996 player. Europe and Australia have released a large number of titles in anamorphic that aren't available in the US, including Psycho. Using its scaling capability outputing in 16X9 mode, the Malata also let's me take advantage of the anamorphic transfers on my 4X3 53" 7 year old Sony.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Wow, looks like a got an answer from a pretty reliable source!
Another thing I've just noticed. Both the VHS and DVD release were to capitalise on the recent restoration. So why is the VHS transfer THX mastered, and the DVD isn't? (Or is the DVD packaging just missing the THX stamp?)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
(Or is the DVD packaging just missing the THX stamp?)
Lots of great DVDs don't have the THX stamp -- and a few notoriously bad ones do. Since it's the same transfer, the only additional thing for THX to certify would be the compression and mastering. No big deal.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks