What's new

Artists on Film - A Movie Tournament (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll second:

The Commitments
The Horse's Mouth
Xanadu

I'll third:

Sullivan's Travels

I'll fourth:

A Hard Day's Night

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
This tournament was a good idea... is there just not enough interest?
Well, there are a few that are interested, but not enough methinks. Besides, it doesn't look like very many deserving films will even make it in (while movies like UHF will). :frowning:

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Well, just pick which ones you think are most deserving then! :) I don't think anyone will complain.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
IF we decide to continue:
Nominate:
Shakespeare in Love
The Entertainer
Lenny
All About Eve
Second:
Adaptation
The Commitments
A Star is Born
The Bad and the Beautiful
Third:
Cabaret
The Horse's Mouth
Deconstructing Harry

Fourth (if required):
Children of Paradise
Topsy-Turvy
Ed Wood
Mulholland Dr.
My Left Foot

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I guess we'll try and continue with this.
I think I've got everything updated correctly.
We're up to 25 on the master list so we need seven more. A shame that some truly deserving films like Rembrandt, La Belle Noiseuse, Mishima, and Moulin Rouge (1952) probably won't make it in. :frowning:

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Mishima MUST make it in!

Why did you make it so that four people are needed to get a movie in the tourney?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Chuck: I nominated a good many films on the noms list. Since some of them are rather obscure (more or less), I figured at least three other people needed to see them before they made it on the main list. However, since this tourney isn't attracting a large crowd, I may go ahead and vote myself. :)
Jen: fixed!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen any of the 4 you mentioned Steve.
I'll nominate Blind Beast though I'm guessing I'm the only one here who's seen it.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe no one's even seconded my Mishima nom.

Here's the nominees I'm still eligible to vote on, and my thoughts on them:

Almost Famous - didn't like it
Breakin' - didn't like it
The Commitments - the only Alan Parker film I've seen that I didn't like much
Henry and June - ehhh, maybe
Koyaanisqatsi - still not convinced it belongs here
La Bamba - not good enough
The Tall Guy - I know it fits, but I just don't think of it as an "artists" movie

Everything else I either haven't seen or already cast my nom/2nd/3rd/4th.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Second:

A Chorus Line
All That Jazz
Before Night Falls
Henry and June
Lenny

Third:

Almost Famous

Fourth:

The Commitments
Gods and Monsters
Eddie and the Cruisers
Cabaret

JenB

Screenwriter
Nominate:
Chicago
The movie does show some of the gals' struggle to get jobs performing (and the musical numbers in their heads leading up to their release) but not sure if others would think it qualifies or not. I thought the movie was much better then the play version I saw tour through Boston a few years back in showing their artistic struggles, giving a better understanding about why they felt they HAD to capitalize on their notoriety to succeed in show biz.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We're up to 25 on the master list so we need seven more. A shame that some truly deserving films like Rembrandt, La Belle Noiseuse, Mishima, and Moulin Rouge (1952) probably won't make it in.
I’ve got to disagree on Rembrandt Steve. I just watched this again, as a part of the 30s challenge, and it just does not do it for me.

Plus, we are hardly treated to anything much about his art: a quick view of The Night Watch early on and a quick look over his shoulder later—and that’s it for art.

We do get a little of a couple of his subjects. Nothing else.

Laughton does have a fine performance. But I’m reminded more of an actor giving a performance rather than really finding anything out about Rembrandt, his art or why he is considered to be a master.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, in addition to films that depict the artistic process, I also wanted to include films that show what the life of an artist can be like. In that, Rembrandt is more successful. Of course, I may just like the film more than you do. :) At any rate, it's nice to know someone else is taking a look at these more obscure films. :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, you should definitely scrounge up a copy of La Belle Noiseuse. Much better than Rembrandt plus you get to see LOTS of Emmanuelle Beart. Never a bad thing, that. :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Third:
Henry and June
And I agree that Koyaanisqatsi has nothing to do with the intent of this tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks