What's new

Feedback wanted on idea for upcoming movie tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Okay, I've come up with what I think would be an interesting movie tournament: Artists on Film. By that, I mean films and documentaries that focus on artists and their creative process, and the trials and tribulations of being an artist. Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to gauge interest in such a tournament. If you're interested in participating, post a reply to let me know. I'd also like to hear suggestions for movies and documentaries to include in the tournament. I'm planning on dividing the tourney into two tiers. Tier one would consist of 16 - 32 fiction films and tier two would consist of 16 - 32 documentaries. Whether I go with 16 or 32 films per tier depends on the feedback I receive. Fiction films will go up against fiction films, likewise for documentaries. The winner of each tier would then go up against each other in the final round. I would alternate tiers during the tourney; that is, one round would match two fiction films against each other, the next would feature two documentaries and so on. I've already come up with a partial list of films that I plan on including. Please let me hear your suggestions! Of course, by "artist", I mean not just painters, but writers, sculptors, filmmakers, musicians, etc. I'll add appropriate suggestions to the list.
Tier 1 - Fiction films
Amadeus
Basquiat
Bird
Camille Claudel
Caravaggio
8 1/2
Immortal Beloved
La Bamba
La Belle Noiseuse
Lust for Life
Moulin Rouge '52
Pollock
Rembrandt
Selena
32 Short Films About Glenn Gould
Van Gogh
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Tier 2 - Documentaries
American Movie
Burden of Dreams
Crumb
Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
Mystery of Picasso, The

Note: I probably won't start this tournament until my sf tourney is over. You have plenty of time to make suggestions! :)
Another note: If I don't receive enough suggestions for documentaries, I may just shelve them with the fiction movies and scrap the two-tiered approach...

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If you go ahead with this make sure to include Robert Altman's Vincent & Theo, In my opinion Altmans best film although it is hardly ever mentioned.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Brian, I was going to include Vincent and Theo, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I couldn't remember if it focused more on the relationship between the Van Gogh brothers, or on Vincent's art. Of course, my inclusion of Immortal Beloved is dubious, but I love the movie. I don't know, what do you think? I'd be happy to include it. And how about Round Midnight? Surviving Picasso?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Nick, good call! I can't believe I forgot about American Movie - I just watched it for the first time last month. I'll add it to my list.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Steve, I'll read with interest but many (if not all of these films are foreign to me...) Too much action fare in my diet I guess ;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hi Steve,

Not sure I'd be familiar enough with a lot of films, but, if this helps, I tried thinking of some that weren't yet listed and thought of

1.Carravaggio

2.My Left Foot

3.Rembrandt

4.Crumb

5.Death in Venice

6.The Seventh Veil (not sure if this is the type film you're after)

7. Superstar: The Life and Times of Andy Warhol

Hope this helps in some way.

DanaA

Screenwriter
One last thought before I hit the sack: Wouldn't Being John Malkovich qualify in some strange way? Oh well, maybe I'm too tired to think straight, but it does see things through the artists mind.

How about his movie, Shadow of a Vampire? That should work.

Need sleep, need sleep, need sleep.

Can't sleep, thinking, need sleep.

Then there's Shakespeare in Love. That would qualify. Some of these are films that quite a few people on the forum would have seen. Maybe I would be able to vote.

A deep, restful slumber. sleep......................

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Guys, thanks for the suggestions! I've added Amadeus, Caravaggio, Crumb, and Rembrandt to my list. I'm not sure on Death in Venice as I've never seen it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Steeve, thanks for the suggestions. I'll add La Bamba, Selena, and Yankee Doodle Dandy to the list. I'm not sure about Don't Look Back - did that doc really delve into Dylan's creative process, or was it more of a concert film? Sorry, I've only seen bits and pieces of it...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Don't Look Back doesn't have all that much performance stuff in it. It's mostly about the persona that Dylan presents to the world and also about his decision to go electric, but I'd defer to the heavier Dylan fans around here.
Just thought of another one:
Andrei Rublev

Tommy G

Screenwriter
If you're talking fiction as well, does "This is Spinal Tap" qualify. Oh, and btw I am interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks