Artisan has sunk to a new low

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jason Stocker, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Jason Stocker

I just picked up the new Artisan release of "Bride of Re-Animator". Not only is it full screen only but it's also the worst looking piece of crap I have ever seen. When you start the movie you are greeted by the old Vestron Video logo which looks video based and jitters like crazy. The whole movie is like this. It has obviously been mastered using the old video cassette. This is totally unacceptable. When I buy a DVD it should at least look like a DVD. I feel like I have just bought a bootleg in the guise of a legitimate release. I wont even be able to get myself to watch this disc which I just bought. What a rip-off!
    Artisan is without a doubt the worst studio on the planet. I also noticed that on their full screen only release of "Fright Night Part II", it states on the back that the film is "Presented in the 1.33:1 format in which the film was shot" even though the film was shot in Panavision. What a bunch of jackasses.[​IMG]
    Well I guess it's not all bad... it did come with an insert![​IMG]

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Typical treatment of non-front line releases by Artisan. Are we really surprised?

3. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

You should check out the original release of "Bride" by Pioneer. It's uncut, in widescreen, and with quite a few extras. It's out of print, so it won't be easy to find. Here's a link to check out its specs:
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...6&item_id=7516

4. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Jason,

I'd take it back to wherever you got it and complain. If they won't accept it as a return, tell them that it's defective and show them the jitter as proof. That's too bad about this title-- the old Pioneer version is fun (though the widescreen version is just a removable black matte). Artisan seems to be turning the butchering of decent Pioneer titles (Trees Lounge, Rambling Rose, Mountains Of The Moon) into a cottage industry.

5. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I believe the movie was shot 4:3 and matted in its few theatrical showings. The Pioneer disc gave you the option of which version to watch but the 1.85 was pretty poor IMO.

6. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I just watched Artisan's "Fright Night Part II". It looks like a VHS tape was dubbed, recorded in EP mode, and dumped onto a DVD.

I'd say "you get what you pay for", but I paid the same price for Universal's recent catalog titles (Gotcha, Hard to Hold, Kuffs, Midnight Run...) and those are WAY more impressive.

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I was expecting the worst anyway, profane remark removed by owner - do not repost.

Artisan is the $1 Dollar store of the DVD market.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry about that, Ron.

8. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

a little research can go a long way. I was excited to hear of this release but saw that it was foolscreen only, so I passed. I'll keep my oop disc for now.

9. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

In my opinion, Artisan IS the definition of low. They can't sink any further if they're already there[​IMG] .

The thing that pisses me off even more than pan & scan only releases, is what another poster just said how it states it's presented in the way it was shot. [​IMG] .

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well, they could acquire Madacy. [​IMG]

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Folks,

I agree with all of you 100%

I have said many times before that Artisan
    have become snake oil salesmen in a mostly
    reputable industry with all the subpar product
    they continue to revamp as new.

It's disgusting. We all know it.

Do me a big favor, please.....

Don't use profanity or name-calling. Keep
    your criticism constructive. Anything less
    will ruin the validity of the point you are
    trying to make.

Besides.....we frown upon that sort of thing here.

12. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

You guys want to see a good example of Artisan's apparent use of VHS masters, check out Chud.com's review of Drop Dead Fred for some very frightening screen shots. I know people were looking forward to this release, but they may not be now.

Chud.com Review of Artisan's Drop Dead Fred

13. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

A friend of mine bought 'Drop Dead Fred' for some reason, apparently he didn't know it was fullscreen, and we compared my old VHS to it...not much of a difference.

14. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

15. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

IMO, Artisan used to be a good DVD company but now that are the worst in the DVD market. Artisan really needs to revamp their company. First of all, they need to release all of their DVD in the movies OAR. Even though I like Drop Dead Fred, I won't buy it because it is pan & scan. Also, they need to stop using VHS Masters for DVD, the movie should be transferred from source materials not VHS copies.