What's new

Arrow Films to release Day of Anger, Blind Woman's Curse, and Mark of the Devil (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Persianimmortal said:
Arrow releases good quality product, but they seem to be gravitating towards cult titles which I and many others have no real interest in. The last disc of theirs I bought was Time Bandits, I'm tempted to blind buy Day of Anger, but that's it. You can't force people to be interested in a movie if they're not, just because Arrow is releasing it!

As i said if you read my earlier post no one is forcing anyone into doing anything, i am just questioning the lack of interest on here compared to other forums, but i am begining to see why. ^_^

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
tele1962 said:
@ Reggie, Arrow have been doing Arthouse for some time including this set:

Yes, I was just sort of referring to their new US releases so far. I think it is way too early to judge what they will do in the US but I think starting with some niche genre releases that were not available on blu-ray was not a bad idea.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
tele1962 said:
As i said if you read my earlier post no one is forcing anyone into doing anything, i am just questioning the lack of interest on here compared to other forums, but i am begining to see why. ^_^

Yup.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Really? Why? Several people in this thread have said the exact same thing and you keep posting as if there's some deep dark reason or conspiracy here on this forum. I'd like to know what it is, as I'm sure would the others here. Perhaps Russell G. can help elaborate given his agreeing with you every time you post this kind of thing. I'm genuinely curious.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
haineshisway said:
Really? Why? Several people in this thread have said the exact same thing and you keep posting as if there's some deep dark reason or conspiracy here on this forum. I'd like to know what it is, as I'm sure would the others here. Perhaps Russell G. can help elaborate given his agreeing with you every time you post this kind of thing. I'm genuinely curious.

Baiting, cute.

It's very plain to see, don't worry about it. Genre fans are in the minority here on the HTF, it's cool.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:

I will keep that to my self, but no matter other forums are buzzing as I have already said.

PS

If anyone is interested they have just announced their July releases.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I just think that Euro Horror and Spaghetti Westerns and Japanese genre pictures are not what most participants here are really into or what makes their wish lists for what might appear on blu-ray. If Arrow say did a big release loaded with extras of something like Bad Day at Black Rock THEN I think you'd have a lot of people here talking about the release and what else Arrow might do. I think classic American films tend to be the biggest draw here so when there are announcements about something like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World then people here start to get quite giddy.

If Arrow somehow landed a rarity like Looking for Mr. Goodbar or announced they would be releasing say a bunch of Paramount catalog titles...well, people here I think would be talking all about them.

It's just that what they are putting out so far in the United States has a very specific audience. Arrow is certainly an outstanding company that puts a great deal of effort and wonderful detail into their releases it's just that those releases don't strike a chord with the classic film crowd that hangs out here.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Thanks Reggie maybe I misunderstood the likes and dislikes on here, apologies guys. :blush: I am by my own admission a bit of an Arrow fanboy and like to spread the word so to speak. lol

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think if there are people here that have yet to purchase an Arrow release once they do, because Arrow finally hit upon something they wanted, I think they will discover why we speak so highly of Arrow Films, Barry.

Arrow is a great company and I'm always thrilled when I hear they will be handling a film because I know they really will try to provide something that is superb. I would say looking at the films they have so far on their US slate that they are going for filling a niche more than going for mass appeal.

To me the great thing is knowing, even if I don't want every title they put out, that these films are in good hands and they are getting top notch treatment.

Of course I was thrilled to get Day of Anger the other day and once again it is a fantastic package.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
tele1962 said:
I am not shoving anything down anyones throats what i did say is that it seems on here anyway that people will happily pay good money on blind buys from other labels and yet there seems to be no willingness to do so with Arrow on here compared to everywhere else.

I can only speak for myself but I don't "pay good money on blind buys from other labels." I do regularly buy discs from Twilight Time, Olive, Kino Lorber, Criterion and Masters Of Cinema but they are discs of films I have already seen and know I like. Most of the Criterion catalog is not to my taste so I am not a frequent customer of theirs.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robin9 said:
I can only speak for myself but I don't "pay good money on blind buys from other labels." I do regularly buy discs from Twilight Time, Olive, Kino Lorber, Criterion and Masters Of Cinema but they are discs of films I have already seen and know I like. Most of the Criterion catalog is not to my taste so I am not a frequent customer of theirs.

That's a shame, your missing so much.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My tastes are pretty limited as well....mainstream (for the most part) Hollywood classics with some British classics mixed in. I have one Arrow title in my 500+ collection (Obsession). I agree with Robin9.....with what some of the boutique labels charge for their discs, no way I'm going to spend $30 (or more) on something that's not in my wheelhouse. No different that I won't spend $ on a food I don't like just because someone else does.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robin9 said:
You're quite right. I'm missing out on boredom, irritation and frustration, all three of which would be the inevitable result of buying discs which are of no interest to me.

How would you know if you have never seen them. Most of my purchases are of films I have never seen which adds to the excitement........those I don't like I sell on. But everyone to there own I suppose?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is starting to sound like the criterion threads when I mention that I tend not to care for the French New Wave stuff, and as a result skip buying them. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks