What's new

Arrow Films to release Day of Anger, Blind Woman's Curse, and Mark of the Devil (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Curious to know about Massacre Gun, which I'm on the fence about. Day of Anger is worth it for Lee Van Cleef and the score alone.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
I take it DAY OF ANGER (the film, not the sentiments on this thread, lol) is considered one of the better spaghetti westerns? I've been burned by too many bad ones. For instance, how many Django ripoffs are there? It would be great if someone were to compile a list of which ones are worthy and which ones I shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Arrow's upcoming CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES sounds right up my alley but I've never heard of it - maybe it's a masterpiece or maybe it was buried for a reason :lol:

One of the best ways to sample is go pick up one of those public domain box sets, 50 Spaghetti Westerns for 30 bucks. Mind you, the AV quality will be all over the map (some really good, some barely above VHS quality), but at 50 cents a movie, you really can't lose. You'll get some stinkers, you'll get some gems, you'll get some stuff that's entertaining but forgettable. But generally a good investment, especially if you can find the set(s) on sale.

As for non PD discs, some of my favorite flicks include:

The Dollars trilogy (duh)

Django (By the way, there were 34 Django knock offs - that we know of)

Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, but completely different from his other 3)
The Big Gundown

A Bullet for the General

​Take a Hard Ride (although this may not count as a Spaghetti Western)

And for sheer shock value alone, the Spaghetti Western/Blaxsploitation mashup:

(It's like Blazing Saddles, without the comedy/parody)

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
tele1962 said:
I just find it a little strange that other forums are buzzing about Arrow, especially when they are turning out the titles they are and their commitment to quality that some are not willing to give them a go. But never mind it is what it is, I just feel many of you are loosing out by not even giving them a try and yet more than willing to make a blind purchase from Criterion or maybe another boutique label.

I own(ed) their releases of A Bay of Blood, Django Prepare a Coffin, Lady Snowblood, Blind Womans Curse (the UK version), Inferno and Tenebrea (1st release) and they are all terrible. Their commitment to quality seems to be a fairly recent thing. But being burned too often in the past with their subpar releases I would never blind buy anything from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks