What's new

Ark II, Jason of Star Command and others coming from BCI!! (1 Viewer)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Well, I ended up buying SA, since I vaguely remembered it from way back when...didn't realize that it was 30 years old!!! I honestly don't remember the first two episodes at all, but the show looked vaguely familiar from the product packaging, and I recall that stupid robot Peepo, a poor TV facsimile of Artoo from ``Star Wars''...and the show's terrible, but for a good laugh at some of the sets, costumes and special effects. Fortunately, I'll only torture myself for another 13 eps. May end up selling my set on E-Bay, if anyone will buy it, that is. I may end up having to give it away.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll send you my address and paypal the shipping cost?
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

It's a possibility, as this show's pretty lame thus far. Heck, if you don't already own the Superfriends sets, I may throw those in as well. Loved 'em when I was younger, but they don't hold up well at ALL.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Dan, you're my new best bud! :D

Were you in to Krofft stuff as a kid? I've found those have taken on a whole new level of goofiness that translates into many hours of hilarity for growup kids! I definately took all that stuff seriously in the 70s. It's unfortunate ARK II, Space Academy, Space 1999, Super Friends, etc. won't totally work on that level. Although I expect to love seeing them all again.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yep Superfriends is definate proof you can't go back, thou I still think 1999, especially the 1st Season , still holds up.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

The first season's the one I'm complaining about...I can't even finish it, let alone start watching Season 2. To be fair, and I guess, in my defense, I have so many other series on DVD (some I never saw when they aired, just never got into them such as Buffy, X-Files, Angel and so on) that Superfriends and Space Academy are way, way down the list in terms of priority.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Sort of. I didn't really get into Space Academy, Ark II, or Space 1999. Space 1999, because I wasn't allowed to watch it, because it was an evening show, I believe, tho I certainly wanted to. Haven't yet sprung for that series set, just because it's so pricey. Super Friends, like I said, before was one of my faves when I came home from school as a kid but it just doesn't hold up well at all.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stuff like that is so much more polished now. For me, there's something about the bad animation and the tunes that were used. I love it!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the Krofft stuff - where the heck is the next boxed set? Damnit, I need my Dr Shinker fix!!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm afraid (very afraid) that the stuff currently out is going to go oop before I can grab it. Namely, Land of the Lost and perhaps Bugaloos.

Yep, but they said 2006 for Dr. Shrinker. Heck, Lidsville's out!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, my gut instinct says that they probably wont go out of print any time soon (barring sudden loss or rights and the like). They just released that 3 season set of Land of the Lost, so there is still foward movement - but just no new material.

Perhaps theyre stuck on how to release the shorter shows - Dynawoman, Dr Shrinker and their kin were all 15 min episodes, not the full half hour - and part of the Krofft Supershow to boot. Perhaps theyre trying to work out how to liscense the Captain Kool and the Kongs segments?

***EDIT***
Thats not QUITE true. It would seem that Barbara Mandrell got a Time/Life release (http://www.timelife.com/catalog/prod...roductId=10345) just this month. But its not one of the Rhino kid-vid releases, so I'm not sure it counts.

***EDIT 2.0***
Ouch, and according to the few reviews I could find, it would appear that the Mandrell episodes were tossed in a blender, set on high for 45 seconds and the remains were poured out onto DVD for mastering.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Never saw the show (Prime time C&W wasnt my bag back in the 80's), so I'd probably have not noticed the edits. But now that I know, it'd stick out at me. Pity - I like the prime time Sid and Marty stuff too, even the painful Pink Lady & Jeff. I might have picked it up if it were intact.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Back in the 90's, Columbia House released a set of 10 or so volumes of KROFFT stuff. Each tape had 2 hours of assorted shows. DR SHRINKER was on there, so they haven't forgotten it. I don't remember there being any CAPTAIN KOOL.

And what was missing on the PINK LADY AND JEFF DVD? I picked those up years ago, before this forum existed, I think.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
OMG. I don't remember that one. At all!

Uhm, hum..... :p

Damn, I'm not that narrow, but suddenly I'm interested in this program. :D Looks weird and campy.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
OK, i am ready for Jason of Star Command. I HOPE we get to see shows Filmation didnt own outright, someday. I would love to see the 70s Saturday morning Tarzan and Batman series. I am sure those rights have gone back to the Burrows estate and Warner.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately those are not part of our deal, as Entertainment Rights has no ownership of them. Wish they did...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
PINK LADY AND JEFF is definitely worth picking up, even if you have never heard of it. It is considered to be one of the worst shows ever on TV. Comedian Jeff Altman hosted with Pink Lady, a Japanese singing duo who couldn't speak English. It was a Variety show with all sorts of late 70's stars.

Truly, a must see.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, Tarzan would be terrific. I loved that as a kid. I haven't seen it since the 1970s but it really impressed me at the time. I'm wondering if it holds up. ... I just watched part of the opening on youtube. Wow! Gave me chills. *crosses fingers*

I'm hoping it's very trippy, like that Leornard Nimoy "Bilbo" video thing. Watching, mouth wide open, scratching your head, and giggling. And wanting to see MORE for some reason! :D

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

I'd expect WHV to bring out the Batman cartoons...With Batman Beyond and Justice League being completed in the next few months, that leaves Superfriends and the various filmation DC Heroes, that's assuming they think that they will sell...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks