What's new

Aren't Macs great? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ok, preaching to the choir here, but I just experienced yet again how Macs are way easier to use than you expect them to be, coming from years of PC use. I finally had need to print something, so I plugged in my 5+ year old printer to the USB port of my MBP. I expected some window to pop up, saying it was installing drivers, or that a new device had been detected, or something, but nothing happened. So I figured I'd just go into Pages, and see if it would print. And it did! And all I did was plug the thing in, which had never been plugged in before. Years of PC use, I guess I expect to have the computer make more of an effort to make things work ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, they are great. The Mac OS has a multitude of printer drivers included, and when a correct one isn't available, there is a universal one. Great in a pinch, though it never hurts to actually install the most recent driver if you plan to use the printer regularly.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hear hear.

I have an older iMac G4, the half-volleyball with the flat panel -- coolest computer ever! -- so unfortunately it doesn't have a DL DVD burner that the newer iMacs have. I recently had to burn a D/L disc, and the office IT manager suggested I borrow the office's external BenQ DL burner. The box listed the usual litany of Windows versions for OS compatibility, but there was no mention of Mac OS X at all. What the hell, I brought it home and tried it anyway, plugged in the USB and used Toast.

Burned without any trouble, and I didn't even have to install any drivers :D :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have the same iMac (half volleyball) as my second computer. I replaced both drives and now have a nice Pioneer DL-DVD drive in it. I wouldn't say it was a simple task, but quite possible yourself with instructions available online.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You'll never pull a Mac away from my cold dead hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks