What's new

Are there any adverse effects to tuning a port to the Fs of a driver? (1 Viewer)

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm playing with various designs for a future tempest sonosub and am just wondering what i should tune my port to. In LSPCad the differences seem very minor.. I'm using 214 liters for the volume, a 4" port and 0% stuffing.. changing tuning frequency doesnt change the curve too much. any ideas?

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
FWIW, I tune most subs so that Fb ~ = the lowest frequency expected, so for HT and organ music, 16-18Hz, jazz/symphony ~27Hz, R&R/etc., ~30Hz, and adjust cab volume to give me closest slope of the rolloff I want.

If it were an HT sub for me, I'd be looking at 300L min/~17Hz Fb.

GM

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

One of the reasons some people tune their subs below Fs is for better control of the driver. For example if you tune your sub to 22 Hz and you have program material that is at 18 Hz the port will completely unload the driver and you could have a bottoming problem. Cone motion is at a minimum at the tuning frequency and then quickly increases as you go below it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks