What's new

Are the SUPERBITS layer changes really "seamless"? (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I did not notice it while watching Air Force One on my Panasonic R91.
------------------

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dont think playing ANY DVD on an HTPC shows a layer change... I heard that like the computer has enough memory to buffer the video so the layer change is seamless because the buffered video is enough to go through the change...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if this was intentional? Can it be done with all (yet-to-be-released) dvds?
I dont think a "seem-less" layer change had anything to do with the higher bitrate. I would like to see this kind of thing more often. I cringe at every layer change when I watch something at home. Some movies will skip forward a chapter on my dvd player (Panny A-110).

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the "seemless" layer change uses "Seemless branching" to accomplish the task. I have yet to see it myself.
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
quote: I dont think playing ANY DVD on an HTPC shows a layer change... [/quote]
Actually, I still notice a layer change (though very brief) now and then on my HTPC. But on most of them, you're right--no noticeable layer change at ALL on almost every DVD. This is especially nice on one or two DVDs I have (such as the 7th Voyage of Sinbad) that had clipped dialogue on my old Panasonic player. Now the dialogue is perfectly intact.
And HTPC picture quality is exquisite :)
------------------
[Edited last by RobertR on October 13, 2001 at 11:40 PM]

James D S

Screenwriter
You know, pristine video and superior audio be damned, I just want them for the seamless layer change. This should be advertised on the package.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the time on an HTPC, you don't notice a layer change. But there are some titles where there is a slight pause, and only then, when you know where the layer change is. I didn't notice the layer change with the 5th Element on my HTPC.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Just to let you know that I had a detectable layer change on both my Panasonic RP56 and my Pioneer DV-414. I don't believe I've heard the Superbits improving the layer changes.

Robert George

Screenwriter
The Superbits discs are supposed to be authored for seamless layer transition. However, this falls outside of the letter of the DVD spec so it is possible that some players that cannot deal with "non-standard" authoring will not necessarily be truly seamless. These players will likely range from a slight pause at the transition to a full "crash" (a few first or second generation players).
For the record, I have watched Fifth Element and Desperado all the way through and the layer transition was seamless on my Panasonic RP91, a player that normally has a 1/2 second pause at a layer change.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
IMO the seam issue should really be an issue of the DVD player and not the DVD disc, at least ideally. My Apex does not have any visible layer change, ever. My RP91 does, often.
I'm glad superbit discs have addressed this problem to a certain extent, but this problem shouldn't exist in the first place, at least on higher end players like the RP91.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I have to agree. If the APEX can do it, all DVD players should be able to do it. This isn't something the studios should have to concern themselves with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks