What's new

Are the SUPERBITS layer changes really "seamless"? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Fifth Element wa a clean change on my Toshiba 3108.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
"I have to agree. If the APEX can do it, all DVD players should be able to do it. "
I think the APEX uses a DVD-ROM, which are supposed to have quicker layer changes vs. CD type transports.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I'd say if DVD-ROMs can do it, then all players should be capable of a seamless layer change. Is it really that difficult for a player to buffer 2-3 seconds of video/audio data in order to skip through the layer change? Apparently it must be because even the high end players have layer changes - although they're slightly better than the cheap players.
------------------

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
> Is it really that difficult for a player to buffer 2-3 seconds of video/audio data<
It's not at all difficult, just expensive - memory is still rather dear. Why they don't place all layer-changes during a blackout scene change is the next logical question. Any DVD-authors care to explain?
Marty

Cris K

Agent
Most players CAN play through a seamless layer- however the spec was written for the lowest common denomenator- thus-
discs must be programmed with a cell command at the layer change which forces the player to pause. The length of the pause and how noticable it is depends on the player and on how well the layer break was chosen in the first place. (superbit discs do not contain this cell command- so some players may choke on the layer change)
ck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks