What's new

Are power line conditioners worth the $$$? (1 Viewer)

ScottA

Auditioning
I really wasn't sure where to post this, in the tweaks & accessories section, amps & receivers, or here. Anyway I will soon be setting up a Pio. 503CMX plasma display, with Dish 6000 sat. receiver, S-VHS player/tuner, Anthem AVM 20 pre-amp, and Sherbourn 7 channel amplifier, and a yet to be determined DVD player.
I would like to know whether anyone thinks a power-line conditioner would be of any benefit or if they are a waste of money. I definitely plan on a nice surge protector.
Any thoughts or specific product recommendations would be appreciated!:)
Scott

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Scott:

Welcome to the forum....before posting any questions use the handy search feature. You'll find hours worth of already posted info on PC under the tweaks forum. Afte you have read through all the info, then post any follow up questions.

Ron

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This does indeed belong in the tweaks area. I believe I saw a few threads on this same topic a few weeks ago.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You know Scott, that's a tough question to answer. In ways its like asking if one thinks there's any benefit to eyeglasses? Well that depends if you've got a problem with your sight, or you need glasses for protection, or you just want glasses for the hell of it. The easiest thing for myself or anyone for that matter is to spend your money either to support our own experiences and/or biases or to treat you like a person who would fulfill our wishes 'if we had the money'.
Power conditioning means a variety of things to both people and companies. For example:

Units that provide EMI/RFI attenuation from any lineborn 'noise' from the mains which then feeds all your equipment.

Units such as the one above that also provide some sort of EMI/RFI filtration between units in order to address concerns that one unit 'may' be emitting RFI/EMI back through the power lines and 'polluting' the AC.

Units that provide balanced power or isolation transformers.

Units that provide voltage regulation to some specified degree.

Units that totally reconstruct the AC waveform to provide say 15 or 20 amps continuous.

Then of course we have permutations of the above along with the ability to provide some degree of surge suppression.

So rather than recommend a 'solution' it might be better initially to focus on whether one has a specific problem that needs attention.

To begin with, is your system on a separate circuit? Will you be having any fans with speed controls, halogen lamps, any dimmers, etc. on the same lines?

I think to address the issue of surge protection is very prudent. Not knowing where you live and your own particular level of paranoia (no offence intended!) might dictate surge protection approaches. Keep in mind, your significant other may be more than a might tiffed if you were to surge protect your HT and then find that a surge went and knocked out the TV in the bedroom, the microwave, the garage door openers, the fridge, the cordless phones, the computer...etc. So if you want, let's talk about what your locale is like with regards to power as well as the environment you plan on putting this equipment in and then perhaps several choices will present themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks