What's new

Are Lubro Moly products worth the $$? And other car care tips? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I'm getting a V6 Passat, and had a mechanic recommend Lubro Moly products, especially the oil additive.
The synthetic is about $10/litre, but if it will help my engine perform better and last longer, I'm all for it. I plan on using OEM oil filters and follow the factory recommended schedule for changes (with an Oil test every couple years to verify that I'm not going too long).
Thanks for any advice.
Link Removed

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
1999 w/ 83k miles. I had my mechanic check it over and he said everything was in good shape and it had been well maintained.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm very leary of oil additives in general. The whole package is a delicate chemical balance, and adding more anti-wear additives can upset the corrosion inhibitors, for instance.
Now, the fuel system cleaners may be a good idea, just to keep the injectors clean. You don't need to use them every tank. I'd go with two tanks, then probably every 5000 miles after that, if you're really concerned. I've only used them 3 times on my Honda ('95 with 113K miles) and the car still runs perfectly (literally).
I'd recommend an ongoing oil analysis from some place like Blackstone Labs. That way, you can determine IF there is any problem, before you try to (inadvertantly) create one.;)
That's a lot of miles for a '99.
Todd

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
If it was well maintained I wouldn't stray too far from what the previous owner used. I wouldn't start using synthetic unneccessarily. Use the oil the dealer recommends

All Temp-Valvoline(for Los Angeles)- 5w-50 or 10w-40 should be fine. Or the dealer equivalent...Commonwealth VW (in Santa Ana)suggests Valvoline 10w-40 at scheduled intervals.

Try and stay away from the snake-oils , if it runs well, don't mess with it. Seriously, after your purchase, at least do your first oil-change at a VW dealer. See what they use (which most likely, will be the 10w-40) Most owners manuals, also say do not add additives .

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Snake oil man. Don't use that stuff. If you want something that works try mobile 1 and amsoil sythetic oil instead of messing around with the fake stuff.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
try mobile 1 and amsoil sythetic oil instead of messing around with the fake stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hehehe.. interesting choice of words..

hahaah, dude it was late at night. I can't believe I didn't revise that. Well that lucas stuff just lowers the viscosity and w, kind of what the sythetics does. I would still pick sythetics though. Amsoils makes the best syth, but it's hard to get and expensive. Mobile 1 is second since so many people carry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks