What's new

Are consultations with lawyers, without any formal retainment agreement, priviledged? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
If I confide in a lawyer who used to represent me formally, but who now does not officially represent me (and is still a member of the bar), is the information that I disclose still privileged? Namely, does an official retainer agreement need to be in place in order to guarantee confidentiality? Thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It depends on the circumstances. To be privileged, communications with an attorney must be made for the purpose of seeking legal advice. A formal retainer agreement is solid evidence that you went to the attorney for legal advice, but it's not uncommon for advice to be sought and rendered without a formal agreement.

If the communication was for some purpose other than seeking legal advice (e.g., the attorney is your friend and you wanted someone to confide in), the communication isn't privileged.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks