What's new

ARC SP16 in da House!!! (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I picked up my new equipment last Thursday and finally got it all hooked up on Friday afternoon. Here's my new audio setup that's incorporated into my HT:

Audio Research SP16 Pre-amp (w/ HT bypass)
Sony 555ES SACD and Panny RP-91 DVD-A transports/decoding
Quicksilver V4 monoblock amps
Vandersteen Model Five speakers
AudioQuest Coral interconnects
Quicksilver Silver Speaker Wire

It's taken me several years to put this entire package together but it has been well worth the wait. The preamp was the final piece and it has really improved the soundstaging and clarity. The detail on every disc is just breathtaking - even my old redbook CDs sound great. Wind instruments take on a new dimension because the air around them seems much more real - if you stand next to the speakers you can almost feel it blowing past your face. And the strings on classical pieces have a much more realistic sound. Before, I was using a Denon receiver as a pre/pro and it sounded nice, but now all of the detail is much more apparent and realistic.

Anyone considering ARC equipment should worry less about it being the right decision and worry more about how you're going to get the money right now. ;) I auditioned this piece in March '02 and finally got the cash. Well, back to listening.

Lin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I used to own Audio Research tube gear back in the early 1980s. Haven't kept up with the Minnesota outfit's products in a long time. I assume the SP-16 is solid state, though. Right? Have fun with your toy!

Lin Park

Second Unit
No, the SP-16 is actually a tube preamp. There are 3 input tubes for each stage: line and phono. Since I don't have any vinly stuff, I got the SP-16L which does not have the phono stage but it can be added later if needed. They actually ship it with the tubes packed inside the unit but uninstalled. You have to physically open the unit and install them.

Later,
Lin

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
how is it hooked into your theatre?? are the quicksilvers just for 2 channel??

Lin Park

Second Unit
The QuickSilvers are used while listening to 2-channel and while watching movies. The audio sources (CD, DVD-A) go directly into the SP16 along with the Front Pre-Outs from the HT processor. When I put the SP16 in Processor mode, it takes the signal as fed from the HT processor and passes it straight through to the QuickSilvers and on to the main fronts.

Lin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks