What's new

ARC problem - connection established, but no sound (1 Viewer)

ZapoTeX

Grip
Real Name
Davide
Hi All! Compared to my initial plans, I spent a little more on Video and a little less on Audio (also because craigslist was not very fruitful in my area in the last couple of weeks)... I ended up with P55VT-50 display and a HTiB for audio, the Onkyo HT-S9400. I have a problem with ARC. I plugged in the HDMI cable on the TV HDMI 1 and on the HDMI out of the receiver (R990). The connection is established: switching on the TV swithes on the receiver too and changing the volume with the TV remote changes the volume on the receiver too. The receiver automatically switches to TV/CD. However, there is no audio coming out. The TV speakers get mute (because the TV "feels" the connection and sends the audio to the receiver), but the HTiB speakers are mute too. Just nothing. I did set the RIHD to ON and ARC to Auto. I did connect the HDMI to the number ONE HDMI in on the panasonic and to the OUT on the Onkyo. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? Thanks a lot! Have a nice day! Davide

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
More than likely... Panny Viera Link and Onkyo CEC don't communicate... IE, ARC doesn't work either. Basically...forget the ARC and run a toslink, you can buy them for $2-8 online...depending on the length you need.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, AVSforum has darn near a "new thread every day" about... "My X brand TV and Y brand AVR, ARC isn't working..." Typically it is because(and you can thank CEC for this) the TV defaults back to "itself" for audio if the "lag is too long" and the AVR "gives up"... Meaning...you start Netflix... 1. You pick "apps" 2. Start Netflix 3. CEC/ARC causes communication between the TV and AVR. 4. Netflix takes a minute(because of the buffer)... 5. AVR thinks..."hhmmm, you aren't sending anything, I don't need to do anything" 6. By the time the movie does start...the TV is still trying to send audio that the AVR already gave up on. 7. Pushing TV/CD again "might" bring the audio back. Here is an AVS thread with "details" on how you might "once and for all" solve the problem... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376758/internet-tv-audio-through-receiver

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, it happens every now and then just like you said, Sam. Both of my Panny displays have Onkyo receivers hooked up to them and I'll get that malfunction every once and while if I'm messing around with certain settings or devices. Crawdaddy

ZapoTeX

Grip
Real Name
Davide
Thanks for your replies!! Well, it kind of sucks, but I feel less stupid now :) I'm usually comfortable with computers and electronics and missing this thing would have hurt my geek's pride :) Thanks for your answers, I'll get the digital cable! Davide

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks