What's new

AR Pro Series with 27" Samsung TXM2798HF and JVC SA602SL (1 Viewer)

Hi,

This is my first time posting but I've been an avid reader for awhile now. I have a Samsung Tantus 27" CRT (direct view?) model number TXM2798HF. I recently purchased a JVC SA602SL (thanks HTF!) and am wondering if the Accoustic Research Pro Series (NOT Pro Series II) will work well with this set-up. I have read just about everything about component cables in this forum and have noticed that everyone seems to prefer Bettercables or at least the AR Pro Series II. However, my set-up seems to be very meager compared to most (no surround sound, etc), as I just want to use it to play videogames and watch DVDs in progressive scan, so do I really need to get more expensive cables than the original Pro Series? I am so enticed by the $25 cost for these because I have a PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube to go along with the JVC DVD player. As a result, I will be investing in a component switcher, most likely the green one from AV Toolbox. Thus, I will need 2 sets of Component Cables (DVD player to switcher...switcher to TV) since I already have the respective sets for each gaming system. So $25 x 2 for cables plus $90 for the switcher seems alot more bearable to me than $60+ x 2 for cables. I know this subject has been discussed ad naseum but I figure I fit a specific niche. Remember: 27" HDTV, no surround sound/HT, component switcher for 3 game consoles and a progressive scan DVD player. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Justin

P.S. Has anyone heard anything about the Component Switcher from AV Toolbox?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't really matter what your TV is as all you want to do is pass video at maybe 40 mHz tops. That said, there are a ton of cables out there that'll do the job without any degradation. If you're of a mind to there are many companies manufacturing, maybe assembling is a better word, cables that vastly exceed the capabilities of DVD players. As to whether the video is improved over an equally well made, but lower spec'd cable is enormously speculative. However buying something like that gives you bragging rights if nothing else. Of course, there's always a faster car out there, so this is a never ending process.
You'll find GE component cables at around $20 at Target that'd serve equally as well as the AR's. They're fairly attractive, appear to be made well, and Target is just about everywhere. OK, $5 isn't a ton of money, but it is a 25% savings!
Onlyine there are many places but when you factor in s/h, seeing as you're on a budget there, it remains to be seen what you're saving.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Justin: Go with what your wallet can afford and dont look back!

Sure, the custom cables have better specs and are recommended by many members here. But the AR Pro brand has built a good reputation even for HD sources. I have often recommended them for more modest systems.

There are one or two people who have gotten the AV Toolbox switcher and seem happy with it. Check the end of the "Inexpensive HD Switching" thread in the receivers section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks