What's new

Aquos lcd 65" or Toshiba 72HM195 72" DLP TV (1 Viewer)

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
creating a game room/theatre in my basement. the drywallers are coming on wendsday(they need the dimensions to make it in wall and I thought I had decided which tv to go with... I recently looked at an AQUOS and now I want to hear other opinions...
please help...
there is about a 7k dollar price point differnce.

please help

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The Sharp Aquos LC-65D90U is $10,000. Quite honestly, you could purchase a Sony Pearl VPL-VW50 1080p projector and Da-Lite screen for half that price, and achieve a far superior picture. This would be ideal in a basement where lighting conditions are controlled.

Review: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...plvw50_pe.html

My next choices would be a JVC 70" HD-70FH97 or Sony 70" KDS-R70XBR2, both of which feature LCoS. I would strongly avoid Toshiba DLP's, they have been plagued with quality control issues this year, including being pulled from the shelves at many major retailers due to malfunctionning color wheel.

What is your viewing distance?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are those your only two options? I assume the DLP is the cheaper set. I would go for the 70"+ set if have a big enough room, but I would also look at LCoS (D-ILA) sets.

Or, even better, would your room work for a front projector? If so you could afford a nice projector at that price point.

EDIT - looks like Alon beat me to it by a couple seconds, but we had similar ideas.

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
i am really not sure I want to do projector. my viewing distance is about 8'.
thanks for the heads up on the tashiba... i am researching the jvc and sony 70" lcos... not familiar with those but i need to hurry and make a decision.

Griff Hollywood

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
the jvc isnt half bad... i just havent been able to find any in stock.... i have a 10k budget on a tv

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Don't forget to budget for professional calibration, and for a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player. Enjoy your new set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks