What's new

AppleTV Icon activated on my Beta 4KATV Unit! (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I thought about putting this in the Apple forum but we've been talking about it here, so...

I had forgotten that I had enrolled the ATV in my bedroom in the beta program so I could test new software. It downloaded the new tvOS beta software last night.

The new ATV app is gorgeous. They've updated all artwork in roughly a 16:9 format (look at that Bride of Frankenstein art!).

Two differences I noticed - when you click on your remote it takes you to the movie's menu like before, but if you hit play it just starts playing the movie from where you left off, and the background images on a movie's page is now video, like Netflix does.

Another feature I'm also really enjoying (out now for everybody) is the ability to just raise my wrist up (with Apple Watch) and say "hey Siri, play Casablanca in the master bedroom" and it just starts. I got your 30 button universal remote right here, buddy.

01458F66-E571-4AA1-B5FA-003778823C5B.jpeg 620E5D83-7616-4211-997F-59C63B6A42D8.jpeg
B2BDDAAD-EB68-45CD-8FCB-5D7D5D3F9CD8.jpeg B191430C-108D-4228-BB12-37E43FAEC293.jpeg 88923658-A9D9-4E39-BF0F-ECAB5123FA43.jpeg
A84B8568-6415-4634-B4AE-2924DA3DFA3D.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have any other Beta AppleTV users noticed the AppleTV icon on their unit? Once I click on that icon, all of my movies and TV shows bought on iTunes are there. The same AppleTV icon is not present on my other two 4KATV units located in my Bedroom and Office home theater setups because I didn't set them up as Beta users. Also, I can even access all of my 373 4K titles by simply clicking on that 4K designate that is listed on the menu.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Although know Robert that the functionality you describe (having your library available there, being able to access 4K titles) has always been there. On the old app you would have swiped up to bring that menu down. Right now there isn't much different other than a cosmetic facelift...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Although know Robert that the functionality you describe (having your library available there, being able to access 4K titles) has always been there. On the old app you would have swiped up to bring that menu down. Right now there isn't much different other than a cosmetic facelift...
Again, I use my Harmony remote so I haven't figured out the swipe up to bring that menu down with that remote.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Again, I use my Harmony remote so I haven't figured out the swipe up to bring that menu down with that remote.

Ditch it man, you're missing a lot!

Siri is invaluable when you are in the mood to watch something but you don't know what ("show me film noir movies from the 1950's") and even the new Criterion app requires it to do things like long hold the pad to bring up options...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ditch it man, you're missing a lot!

Siri is invaluable when you are in the mood to watch something but you don't know what ("show me film noir movies from the 1950's") and even the new Criterion app requires you to do things like long hold the pad to bring up options...
Nah, I just have to remember to use that small remote more often.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did I read correctly though earlier this year that this is only on Samsung Models?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks