What's new

Apple to Support HD DVD - The Alliance Is Breaking (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I guess the same thing could be said for Sony. Except for the PS2, most everything they have tried to move over the past few years has pretty much failed in the market place.

The fact is, Sony backing BD and Apple talking of support for HD is good news, not bad.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Why are some so quick to jump negatively on any additional support HD-DVD gets. I own both systems, and hope both formats survive. There is great benefit in having competing systems in the market; it forces the manufacturers and studios to be on their toes and produce quality product.

If this competetion moves the hardware and software quality forward, it is to all of our benefits. I certainly hope the best for both.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think it's because certain folks are invested in a format and have been even before seeing it. What we are seeing now is just human nature.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Bingo.

Many production houses in Hollywood have made (and continue) to make a transition to Final Cut Pro (and subsequently DVD Studio Pro), so there is no reason why not to include HD-DVD support. It's been there for a long while, and they'll likely support both formats.

From Macworld 2005 "Steve showing off high-def wedding video. “We’re anxiously awaiting Blu-ray so we can burn high definition DVDs”

Apple is about content creation, and they'll likely continue supporting both until something shakes out.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
A lot of "believed" and "likely" in there.

It's possible, but I'll "likely believe" it when it happens.

Aren't rumors fun? :)

PS: There's a rumor raging at the AVS saying Universal will support BD starting Q1 2007. THAT would be far more significant than this I assure you. *BUT* it's just a rumor, until I actually see Universal BDs on the store shelves I'll believe it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Nice sig Tim.

I'd like to know more how this becomes a nail in HD-DVDs coffin when they were first a BD supporter ony and now, maybe, adding HD-DVD.

Either way, more support for HD-DVD is good news and like Thomas above I'd also like to see both survive and I fully plan to support BD once the player prices drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks