What's new

Apple Lossless. Streaming next? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
iTunes Match.
I bought it and for the music I love it but now the is an apparent problem moving the lyrics that I put in on itunes over through the Match on my iphone.
Just went through most of the "A's" and added a ton of lyrics but they dont move over on Match. I also am missing a bunch or album art.
From what I could find Apple hasnt responded to this yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Fanbois?
Anyway if you pay that much as in that example it is simply dumb.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wha? What example? I'm just saying that:
-my understanding is that lyrics are added to the metadata of songs instead of as a sidecar file, this creates a unique file which is both a bit of a hack and a bit dangerous.
-iTunes match saves on bandwidth by, ya know, matching, so unique files don't get uploaded to preserve lyrics

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm curious how this Match process works.
I know that when I rip a CD, iTunes goes to the net to look up the track listings. I'm also aware that for older albums, many of these track listings were 'user' supplied, not studio supplied (I believe that it was originally CDDB or Gracenote). And the problem with 'user' supplied information, is that it could be inaccurate, incomplete, or at the very least inconsistent. (I have multiple soundtrack/broadway albums where every Artist is listed as "Original Cast" instead of the actual singer). In many cases I've often been given choices of which listings to use (due to the fact that more than one person supplied the information). Fortunately iTunes allows us to 'correct' the information using the INFO feature.
iTunes also allows you to have multiple copies of the same song - and you can modify the information to make them look different - whether it is from a different album or what.
Also, some songs have multiple titles. The 'official' title, and the more well know common title. For example, Harry Belafonte had a huge hit with The Banana Boat Song, but most people know it as Day-O.
My question about Match is how does it determine if the song in your iTunes collection is the same as Apple's version? If you've cleaned up the information - either to correct it, or to be consistent with your own preferences, can it still be found by Apple if the Information doesn't match the track listing database on the net?
David

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Good news for us lossless lovers:

At some point Apple snuck in the feature I've spent years waiting for: ability to generate 256 Kbps AAC on the fly from Apple Lossless when synching portable devices. (That feature has existed at 128 Kbps for a while, but I wanted the higher bit rate).
This means I no longer need to keep two copies of much of my music -- making the iOS iTunes Apple Remote vastly more usable, saving disk space and all kinds of iTunes admin headaches.
This will cost me a bunch of time to delete the AAC stuff (I have very few AAC only things in my library, but still I don't wish to lose them by deleting all AACs wholesale -- and the "Find Duplicates" feature doesn't always work, as sometimes the AAC predates my Apple Lossless version and CDDB info for the same CDs changed over the years.)
Thank you Apple!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ted,
I've never used that feature because I can hear audible quality differences at 128kbps, but I'm officially interested now that they offer 256kbps. Any idea how long it takes to convert "on the fly"? I have a library of over 12,000 songs, so while this sounds appealing, if it would turn a sync into a 24 hour affair I might not be as interested.
Thanks!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina /t/287825/for-you-nutjobs-who-insist-on-apple-lossless-yes-you-ron-p/60#post_3925669
Hi Ted,
I've never used that feature because I can hear audible quality differences at 128kbps, but I'm officially interested now that they offer 256kbps. Any idea how long it takes to convert "on the fly"? I have a library of over 12,000 songs, so while this sounds appealing, if it would turn a sync into a 24 hour affair I might not be as interested.
Thanks!
You have all 12,000 on your portable device?

Here is how it works -- anytime a new song gets added *for the first time* to your iDevice, it gets converted. I have been simply deleting the AAC versions and adding the Apple Lossless to my iPhone synch play list a few dozen albums at a time -- and the conversion happens in a manner of minutes, not hours. (2009 quadcore MacPro). The next time I synch, it only has to convert newly added songs, not the ones it has already done. (of course if you deleted them, and then decide to re-add them to the iDevice, it will have to convert again.)

The point is, even if you decide you want to do a huge number all at once, a really long synch will be just a one time affair.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ted, yeah that's what I wanted to hear. As of now I do have all 12K on a 160GB iPod Classic (20GB room left, all are 320kbps AAC). At some point I'll run out of room. But I'd also be interested when they release hopefully an iPod touch at 128GB how to shrink my collection to fit that. I know I'll have to reburn everything to ALAC (was planning on it anyway for archival reasons) and then to 256AAC but I wanted to get an idea of how long it would take.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What happened here I surely didn't start this topic and my posts make it look like I'm crazy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
What happened here I surely didn't start this topic and my posts make it look like I'm crazy.

That IS strange. It says clearly that Sam started the thread...but, for some reason, the first post is attributed to you.

Something's missing...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Weird! I definitely did start it. I can change the title if you want so it doesn't look like you are calling Ron a nutjob =p

Please take the quiz tho!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No I think we all know who started it. Your traditional smiley face thing is right there. Looks like someone called Fanbois got deleted

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
6 out of 6 correct! Yeeessa!!!

Truthfully, I couldn't tell the difference between the sound quality of the three samples of each song. The only way I was able to get them all right was the uncompressed WAV file kept pausing because I'm on a 1.5 Mbps internet connection. [emoji16]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I got 3 correct. 3,4,6. Was using my note 4.
The other 3 I picked 128.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
3/6 with 3, 5 and 6 correct. But I never felt totally confident about my choices. To me the differences tended to be rather subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks