What's new

Apex 43 Inch HDTV Projection? (1 Viewer)

John^^Lee

Grip
Hello, today I saw an advertisement for Sears, and they have a 43 inch Apex HDTV television on sale for $699 US( $999-300). Sounds like a good deal, but I am worried about the quality of Apex televisions. Currently I have a 27 inch Toshiba Flat Tube Analog that I plan to move to the bedroom. Anybody know about Apex televisions, or this model in particular?
I come from head-fi, and I do not know much about video displays and home theatre.

John S

Senior HTF Member
They do OK. If you go look and like the Picture Quality, I'd say go for it!!!!

If I could of found one, I probably would have a 65" Apex right now. But, I couldn't, so I have a 60" Philips and could not be happier really.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I looked at them at Sears and Compusa for that price.

I eventually decided that the Hitachi 43" for the same price at uecweb was a better deal.
To my eyes the picture quality on the Hitachi is far superior...

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have seen, Apex projection TVs have middling, uneven picture quality. Keep in mind that in this case, you also get what you pay for. Apex is basically the lowest common denominator of electronics, and have appropriately sketchy quality control. Check out reviews of the set on Epinions, Amazon, Audioreview, etc. and you will see many complaints about reliability issues.

In my opinion, you'd be better off scouting around for a set with known reliability and quality. Many retailers have been clearing out discontinued/last years' models for similar price points.

John^^Lee

Grip
Thanks for the advice, there is no reason to get an Apex television with better brands at same price poitns. The Hitachi 43" hdtv (43FDX01B) on uecweb looks good. Can it do HDTV out of the box, or will I have to purchase something else? Also, are there any other brands or models that would be recommended?

John^^Lee

Grip
There is also a Hitachi 50" and 60" for $650 and $790 respectively. However, they are not HDTV. Would it be wise to choose a bigger screen and sacrifice HDTV? I dont currently have any HDTV sources, but I am open to anything, within my limited budget.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Time to take the leap... HDTV ready at least.

OTA Tuners are cheap (well around $200), you may want to find out what HD OTA is available in your area though, and when the various broadcasters plan on having it available in your area.

The Dish and Cable are of course other options, and I'd venture to guess have quite a bit more content.

I'm tempted just because I want Discovery HD Theater.

John^^Lee

Grip
Ok, I see that HDTV is the way to go. Are there any particular brands or models at this price point that stand out?

John S

Senior HTF Member
For some yes, but it seems more and more, all sets have their particular issues, so there really are no perfect sets anymore. To me anyways.

Just find one within your budget that you feel has the Picture Quality you can live with for a while.

Try to have the store show you different content on it, like HDTV, and NTSC sources, DVD, ect..ect..

You can somewhat guage how decent any set you may be considering is, by the number of happy owners -vs- unhappy owners, by doing searches here and on the net. Some sets have known issues too. :)

I just bought a 60" Philips, I am very happy with so far. (I metion it, only because they are considered lower end by most) Bought it from www.electronicsalley.com

Good luck!!!

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Just to add a comment here, if you are gonna go out and try to get a feel for picture quality, don't do it at any sears stores. They have that signal split so many times without amplification that all the sets, HDTV, Plasma and regular ol CRT, look like Crap. If you can find a local Audio/Video place that carries low dollar sets, or at least ask a knowledgeable salesperson at a BB or CC, how may times the signal you are watching on a said set, is split.

Its actually so bad at the sears in College Station, that there is no way to tell what set is what based on picture quality alone.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would avoid anything by Apex. You get what you pay for most of the time with electronics. Save some more money and spend a few hundred or so more and get something of better quality.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Apex is a perfect product for Walmart and other such stores. I am amazed that I also see them at some of the better B&M's at all really.

I did get see a 65" Model at somebodies house once back in the summer, they seemed happy and I had to admit the HDTV and DVD performance was good.

So many models of all the manufactures have issues these days, it is getting really hard to make any real reliability and quality disticntions.

John^^Lee

Grip
So, I won't be buying an Apex Television. Are there any brands or specific models that stand out as better than others?

John S

Senior HTF Member
So easily talked out of the Apex.. lol
Everybody has their brand loyalties.

Philips are still more on the bargain side, and I sure like mine. Apex is the most on the bargain side of any of them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.