Apartment System Help?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian Herold, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

Hey guys, just joined the forum and have been reading around trying to put together a system for about $500-600ish. From what ive been reading, I could easily go with the onkyo ht-s760 setup which im sure would be perfect, but I also ran across the fluance av-htb system.

I'm guessing the Fluance speaks would perform much better (from what ive heard), so I need to pick out a sub and receiver to pair with them - looking for a little help.

Fluance av-htb: ~$250 shipped (fluance.com)
    Denon 10" sub: ~150$ shipped (parts express)
    Receiver: ???

Kenwood VR-806 (100w/ch @8oms): $150+SH ebay
    Sony STR-DE597 (100w/ch @8oms): $150+SH ebay
    Onkyo TX-SR502 (75w/ch @8oms): $250+SH ebay

I guess I just need help picking out a receiver that would do the job on a budget - unless theres another setup that would offer a better bang/buck.

Any suggestions would be extremely appriciated!

Thanks!

2. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

BUMP!
    Could really use a couple suggestions [​IMG]

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I use the Fluance SX-HTB setup in my apt with a Velodyne 10" sub, and it works just superbly. Id get the Fluance over the onkyo HTiB anyday, Im running them on a Pioneer VSX-D412-s receiver its a decent receiver for the money, I have no need for tons of inputs since I only use it for watching DVD movies. my room dimensions are 16'x12'. Luckily my neighbors dont care about noise much. I play my movies regularly at -32 db level and higher, on movies with good LFE the building can shake depending on volume levels. Good Times.

4. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

Thanks man - I think im going to go with the sx's and either a dayton 10", CHT 10, or JBL e250p for a sub.
    All of that decided, I still need a capable amp to power all this with. I'd like at least 6.1 support if I ever decide to throw in the extra rear center and have component out for my tv - Ive heard some good reviews from the above mentioned onkyo 502, so maybe I'll go that route, but I'm wondering if only 75 W/ch would be underpowering the fluances? Someone toss out some decent receiver ideas I can research.

Again, thanks for the info.

5. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with a Pioneer VSX-D814 or 812 over the onkyo because it has a little more power, but also has preouts if you decide you want an amp later on. The onkyo only has the sub preout!

6. Brian Herold

Brian Herold Extra

That actually looks like a pretty damn good option. Looking on cnet the 912K got the second highest rating. I might go with the 9xx line just for the auto calibration feature; but I have one question, whats the difference between the 912 vs the 914?