What's new

AOL sent me a disk in a MDF box!?!? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Who is working over in the packaging department at AOL?? Don't they understand the concept of the envelope?

I just got their 9.0 Optimized sent to me in a neat little box made of mitred MDF:

It's a pretty cool box, actually... if I only had a use for it. If AOL is going to send out their disks in wierd packages, they need to start making them more useful. Like a package that doubles as a coffee mug or something.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Maybe the next round of AOL discs will be shipped in a titanium CD jewel case encrusted with faux diamonds.

Btw Dave love your sig pics. :D

Pamela

Supporting Actor

I had no idea what they were talking about, either. But, after a quick Google, it's either manic depression fellowship, Maine Development Foundation, or medium density fiberboard.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Oh.. sorry.. MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard.

The regulars in the DIY forum are actually addicted to the stuff. :) There's just something about the smell of freshly sawn MDF.

Anyway... good idea, Jay. Maybe I'll get enough to put together a mini-mini subwoofer.... for the HT I'm building in my Barbie dream-house.

By the way, do you think the Manic Depression Fellowship has a fun member picnic every year?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Okay, this nifty little box is beginning to grow on me.

I've managed to peel off the AOL labelling so, now when it's closed, it looks like a square piece of 3/8" MDF. But, when you open it, it's got this nice sort of white melamine surface inside.

I was thinking maybe I could put some type of veneer on the outside to doll it up.

But, I still can't think of a useful purpose for this box!
I mean, it's not even very good for holding a cd. There's no spindle or anything to hold it in place.

What can I put in here!!?!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Being a sucker for containers, I'm hoping I'll get one too.

It could be a really overdone envelope for a birthday card...

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
You have to admire the craftsmanship on these things. Which highlights the incredible amount of waste that AOL produces. I'm a rural mail carrier and you would not believe how much crap AOL sends out. They come in all different kinds of containers such as DVD cases, jewel boxes, metal tins, soft plastic, hard plastic, paper, mdf, etc. We have to have a special place to throw away the many undeliverable ones because they are not recyclable. They also are inserted in magazines or inside a plastic cover around the magazine making the magazine much harder for us to deliver. You can pick one up at a display at the counter of our post office (or at just about any cash register of any retail establishment in the country). We throw away boxes full of the outdated and undeliverable AOL discs and we are just a small post office. Multiply that by all the Post Offices in the US and you have a landfill clogging mess! I have to catch my breath now and calm down before I get disgruntled. Thank you for letting me rant.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
It's successful marketing, look at the free publicity AOL gets from the packaging alone. It might just be the recycling of a massive stock of factory cnced cases.

Notice how the box is oversized like a DVD, and not CD sized. That leads me to believe that perhaps this box was not designed specifically for AOL's needs.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Those would make a mighty cool looking flexy pencil holder (drill some holes through it) for your desk.

Or for the guys, make one for your significant other (good present?) to put their little trinkets and doohickeys and whatnot on them. (be sure to paint over any AOL logos and the like ;) )

hmm, What else could a mini-flexy be used for?

Damnit, i need a summer job, ive got way too much time on my hands :D

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

Yeah, but it's not like anyone actually uses the discs (other than for shiny frizbees). I mean, out of the millions they send, how many people actually sign up?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

From my balcony, I can pick off many a loudmouth at the gas station below.

I always keep a few with me at all times, they make great weapons. More intimidating if you paint them with scary animals or strange occult symbols.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

If any of you has plans on how to make a launcher for them, I'm interested. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks