What's new

Anyway to remove dual boot? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My pretty computer literate uncle runs Windows 98 on his computer. He's been having some problems with it lately, so he asks to borrow my Windows 2000 bootable disc. He's in Windows 98, sticks it in and gives him the typical "The version of Windows on this CD is newer than the one you are currently using. Would you like to upgrade?" He clicks yes, it runs for a ways, and then dies on him, totally frigging up his computer. He runs Scan Disk and repairs the changes and can load into Windows 98 fine. But everytime he reboots, the Windows 2000 install starts up and causes the problems all over again.

I could wipe out his Windows 98 partition and create a clean install from the Windows 2000 CD and solve the problem, but he says he has large files he needs to keep. The computer has a dial up connection and no CD burner, so I can't transfer them somewhere to back them up.

Is there anyway to remove the Windows 2000 installation startup to get back to just Windows 98 without losing all the files (or finish the Windows 2000 installation without losing all the files)?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Start
search (or find files)
got to top and click tools
folder options
view
click
show hidden files or folders
uncheck hide system files
search for boot.ini in c
then delete out where it says win2k and just make sure it says c: win98

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
If that doesn't work...

Boot to a real DOS prompt with Win98 boot disk and type 'fdisk /mbr' which should create a brand new master boot record (IIRC, it's been many years!)

Mark Hsieh

Agent
or..you can always yank out the hard drive and put it in a computer with a burner in it, or do what I do: haul your laptop over (along with a nic) and move the files over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks