What's new

Anyway to power a sub with unused regular channel? (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I know this is a stupid question and the answer is probably no, but hey, if you don't ask ...
I've got a Denon 3802 receiver and am running the front three channels through monoblock amps. I want to buy a sub, probably an SVS, but am a little short on cash, so I was thinking of buying one without an amp and powering it with my Denon, if at all possible. Is that possible?

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I don't think its possible but some one with more experiance might know different. You can always use the monoblock that you use for the center channel to power the SVS until you can afford to purchase another amp. That is what I would do.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the response, Juan!
I thought about pulling the center monoblock, but I think that might change the front sound stage too much. The monoblocks sound a lot different than the Denon's amps, at least I remember them sounding a lot different when I first made the switch ...
Maybe I should just save up for amped sub ....

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Maybe . . .
I am not familiar with the specifics on the 3802, but here goes:
The Denon 3802 has multi room capability. You should be able to use the rear channel amps for another source at the same time as the other 5 channels. So, you would run a wire from the sub out into another sourec (CD, Tape, whatever is not used), Then set that source to output to room B. Hook up your sub to room B, and you should have it.

A major word of cation:
Even though I think it would work, the SVS PCi has a 320 watt amp. Your Denon is only going to give it 115 watts. You are going to majorly underpower the sub, and the sub is going to put a very big load on the reciever. If you turn up the volume and the sub demands more, you will flip the protection circuitry, or even worse, damage the reciever.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Personally I would just save up until I could get the PCi model. It'll have everything there in one neat package.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I think you're right. Considering Brian's note of caution - thanks Brian! - it sounds like I'd be better of waiting no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks