What's new

anyone using the Samsung DVD-HD860? (1 Viewer)

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
how is the picture quality on this player?
I need to upgrade my Panny dvd-s27 player, as it is just not doing very well with my 48" jvc rptv. I would like to use the tv's HDMI input, but i dont want to spend a fortune on a new player. Next year in the spring, i will be upgrading to one of the hd formats. I just need this to tide me over but i dont want to spend alot. (this one will be moved into my bedroom to replace my old koss player when the hd/bd player comes)

will i get better picture than my current player? hows the upscaling on it? My set automatically upconverts all signals to 1080i (annoying as hell) so i would like to at least be able to send a better signal than the one the tv is upconverting to.

the Samsung DVD-HD860 is selling for $139 at a local retailer.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would stay away from samsung dvd players.. I would try the oppo 971.. its cost a bit.. I hear nothing my great things about it.. I am getting the player later this week hopefully.

Jacob

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Personally, I love my Samsung DVD-HD950 but I don't know if the HD860 is the same as far as DVD-V playback. The HD950 is a favorite because it is a universal player and pretty good DVD-V player and I have a ton of DVD-A and SACD discs.

Chris

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 845..was in the same boat as far as looking for a player to hold me over until I am ready to jump into the high def players in the spring. I have no big complaints with mine, it has played every disc I have asked it to and seems to put out a nice picture.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the 860 but I do have the 950 and do not like it. I opted for the 950 because I could get it in black.

Picture quality is good if you aren't picky about black being really black. The HDMI output for me was a problem. The picture would every so often go blank a second and come back on (only using HDMI out). I finally moved it to the bedroom and replaced it with a Sony CX955 which started out great. Picture quality beat the Samsung. Four months using the Sony the HDMI output died. Sony replaced it with yet another and the HDMI output doesn't work. I have given up on HDMI since I could see no real difference in picture quality between it and component video out. For me the only difference is HDMI being one cable verses 3 using component out.

By the way, shop around if you really intend to buy the 850. I have seen it for as low as $99.

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
Have Samsung HD-841. great for using its features that have allowed me to play just about anything as far as CD's, as a DVD player, no better than a normal cheapo progressive unit. Bedroom unit now!!!

Had the HD-850, got rid of it for the 841 features and price.

Had the HD-931, good DVD player for up-conversion, lasted just over a year.

Tried out the 960, took back, its OK!!

Tried out Sony 75H, what a piece of white washed junk. Tried 2 of them to see if it was the player. Pushed whites and contrast too hard.

Have Oppo 971H, none of the past ones can even come close in comparison for DVD picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks