What's new

Anyone using Sony DVP NC650V? (1 Viewer)

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone using this changer in there sysytem? I'm looking for a new DVD player, since HDTV is not in my near future I thought maybe I hold off on a Progressive Scan unit for now.(It seems like there are many new units coming out soon) Does the 650 have the Chroma bug, if so is it a bad case of it? How does it handle layer changes? Does it do a good job converting into widescreen? Any info would be much appreciated:)

DaleV

Agent
I've got one of these players. No chroma bug that I've seen. The picture quality is very good to excellent. The tray action is quite a bit better than Sony's previous model that I was using (DVP-C650D). As far as layer changes they are noticable,but like any other player that depends a lot on the disc. Sometimes hardly at all and sometimes quite slow. For what you get for the price of the 650v I think its an excellent buy. What other player gets you a DVD changer,SACD player,and also plays CD's very good for a mere $249. Buy one before they are all gone from Best Buy and if you don't like it bring it back before the 30 days are up. I think you'll keep it though. This is also my first SACD player and it sounds amazing. I think its a keeper for that alone. Hope this helps

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Dale,
Thanks for the info:) I think I will go to Best Buy today and see if they have any left. When you say certain layer changes are "slow" how slow are we talking about? I also remember reading that this player was fairly loud when playing a disc, have you noticed this? I

DaleV

Agent
I've noticed that certain layer changes, depending on the disc, are slower than others. How slow? Noticeable. A second or so on the slowest and hardly noticeable on others. This has a lot to do where the layer change is in the disc. As far as noise from the player the only time I hear it is from a disc changing, but then all is quiet in the room. Don't hear the player at all even during extremely quiet passages in the movies. To me the player is worth a lot more than BB is selling them for.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
The good:

- great picture quality

- SACD on the cheap

- carousel convenience

- coax and optical digital out

- inexpensive

The not-so-good:

- slow chapter seek and layer change (I've seen some take up to 3 seconds!)

- slow disc format recognition

- audible ticking while spinning discs (only audible when soundtrack is silent)

For the price you really can't get much more bang for your buck than this.

GeorgeC

Agent
Joe,

One of the Best Buys near me has dropped the price on this unit from $329 to $249, which I think is an amazing price on this unit. So far, that's the best price I've seen.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I have the very similar ns500v. It looks great, and the SACD is a nice bonus feature. I do not hear any noise from the player, but I sit about 12 feet away, so that may be why.

My only complaint is the slow layer change. I haven't ever seen it take more than one second though. Usually I don't notice it at all, and only once has someone else watching a DVD with me commented on it.

If you use it for listening to CDs, the slow disk recognition can be an issue. But these are minor inconveniences. It is a great player. I'm using it for DVD, CD, and SACD. The CD DACs are very comparable to the DAC in my Denon 1802. I can't hear the difference when switching between an analog and digital connection.

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input everyone! I picked one up at Best Buy today for 249+tax. Hopefully it will hold me over until I'm ready to upgrade to HDTV/Progressive Scan. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Wow my initial impressions of this player.... it's a steal at $249. My only complaint (which were mentioned in this thread) are slow layer chnages. I think the picture is pretty solid through component video and the player does a great job converting into widescreen. This is my first venture into SACD, and so far I have only heard the sample disc it came with. The James Taylor and classical track are awesome, I can't wait to pick up a few discs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, if you indicate your musical tastes, I'd be willing to suggest some good SACDs. I'm sure others will offer suggestions will as well. If you like the James Taylor track on the sampler disc, pick up the Hourglass SACD. You have to hear track 4, "Gaia". I listen primarily to the stereo track, and "Gaia" is absolutely incredible.

DaleV

Agent
Like KeithH, I agree on the James Taylor disc it is great in the SACD format. I don't know what kind of music you listen to but so far of the few SACD's I have, my favorite is the Orff Carmina Burana hybrid multi-channel disc. Its from the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus. This thing is unbelievable. Glad you like the player. The BestBuy in my area doesn't carry a very good selection of disc so I have to order mine off the net. Yet they wonder why SACD doesn't sell.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Here is a question no one seems to be able to answer, can this player Shuffle DVD tracks among the 5-disc's in the tray, you know like if I loaded up 5 concert DVD's will it be able to Random play from the tracks from the disc's in the tray. The reason I ask is I'm seriously considering buying one sinc J&R has them on sell for $249 (limited quanity) and I dont have to pay tax since It's out of state.

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I will try shuffle mode on DVD's tom. and post Wed night (I think I remember reading in the manuel that this could be done). If you don't have a HDTV I think this DVD player is a GREAT deal, like I said my only complaint is slow layer changes.

Dale,Keith

I just picked up the James Taylor SACD... awesome disc. I didn't think I would be into the multichannel mix, but I was pleasently surprised, it sounded great.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, does this mean that you if I had several concert discs in the player it will random play from all the tracks on all 5 discs if so I'll buy one tonight.

Thanks again

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I had a Phish, Jimi, and Bob DVD in the player and it shuffled. I went through the on-screen menu to set it up. Press display twice, go to the shuffle symbol and set it to titles pressed play and it shuffled the 3 discs. This info is available in the instructions. While the discs were shuffling the screen went to what you would see if you had the player and T.V on with no discs in the player. If you have a Best Buy near you the player can be bought there for $249. If you pick it up and have any ?'s let me know, I will be away until Sunday, but will back online Sunday night.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I've got one of these players. No chroma bug that I've seen.
This player is not progressive scan so the chroma bug issue is irrelevant for this player, isn't it? I have been considering this one. I might also look into the 900. It seems to be a better build and is progressive scan. Although, it is only a single disk player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks