What's new

Anyone Running Windows XP on Dell XPS T450 or similar? (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
My PC is a Dell Dimension XPS T450 and is roughly about 3 years old.
Basically it's a Pentium III 450, 13 gig Maxtor HD, generic Yamaha sound card, Voodoo3 16mb video card, 224 mb of PC 100 memory currently running Win2K SP2.
I went to Dell's support site and while it said that my PC met all of XP's hardware requirements, they suggested not installing XP because Dell is no longer supporting Bios updates and other driver updates for this machine running with Windows XP.
The kicker was that the suggestion was to purchase the latest and greatest Dell machine made to run optimized with Windows XP. :rolleyes
While my next PC probably will be a Dell, it isn't going to be for a while.
I could always just back-up all my data files or make an image and install XP, if it has problems I can just put Win2k back on.
So I guess what I'm asking is...
Is anybody currently running XP sucsessfully on a machine much like mine?
What do you think are the pros/cons of doing this?
Thanks for your help.
Brian

Nick L

Second Unit
XP has alot of overhead. On your 450 with 224megs of ram I would stick with win2k. XP would be noticably slower.

Nick L

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
My desktop is a similar Dell setup. I attempted to install WinXP on it and, while it worked okay, it wasn't entirely stable. I've since gone back to Win2K Pro.

WinXP doesn't seem to like 'older' hardware.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies.

My daughter has a bunch of PC games and a good many of them will not run on Win2K.

I was hoping the feature in XP that allows you to designate older windows OS atmospheres for different programs would allow these PC games to play.

I guess I'll have to format my drive and go dual boot with Win 98 and Win2k.

Thanks again,

Brian

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

I have XP on a Dell Dimension 700mhz with 256mb of ram and all is working fine. I've installed XP on systems comparable to yours and in my experience it has run fine. I haven't dealt with the Yamaha card or the Voodoo3 . I know there are third party drivers available for the voodoo3 for XP but I have no idea how they run.

The game compatiblity is worlds above win2k but you might have some problems with older DOS based games. XP does have a compatiblity mode which allows you to choose what OS for XP to try and emulate but I have found some issues with this mode personally.

If you are considering the dual boot option I say go with XP. Its the exact setup I have now. Win98se and XP. Worst case scenario if you dont like it you can reformat with 2k.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have XP running on my wifes machine which is only a 450 with 128 megs of ram...seems ok and is a lot more stable then it was.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I have XP running on my Dell XPS R450. It has a PII 450mz and 384mb of ram and it runs great! Since I've installed XP it hasn't crashed (about 2 weeks). The only problem I've had was that my Canon printer wouldn't work. Otherwise it's been great!

-Andre F

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I installed an upgrade to XP on my older eMachine 466i. It has a celeron processor, 256mb ram and an 8gb hd. The machine is about 2.5 years old. So far, I have had NO problems with it at all. In fact, other than running a little slower than my new P4, it's doing great. My wife is using it to do the books and play Asteroids and Spider Solitaire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks