What's new

Anyone remember W*D*H ratios for Sub Box? (1 Viewer)

PeterOS

Grip
I don't know how many of ye would have seen it but anyway.

I am trying to design my own box for my tempest (kind of as part of college project), i read somewhere before of the dimension ratios that can be used that will reduce standing waves in the box. It was something like (1)W*(1.2)D*(1.5)H .If any of ye have seen it before could you please let me know of the ratios or even better the link to the site.

Cheers

One other question, any of ye ever use ALGORE software before. I am going to try to do a FEA (finite element analysis)of a port to see how much of a difference it does make to air flow. Just wondering how hard is it to use, starting off and learning how to use it by yourself.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Standing waves are not an issue with sub boxes. You do not need to stick with a "golden ratio". perfect cubes work just fine for subs. ...the only time you run into issues is if you have a really tall subwoofer (pipe resonances)

Jonathan M

Second Unit
...and, if you wanna be a little more dead on with those cuts, the ratio for minimizing standing waves should be:

(sqrt(5)-1)/2,1,(sqrt(5)+1)/2

That's the Golden Ratio, he "first" irrational to be not well approximated by rationals (Thus minimal standing waves)

This makes no difference at subwoofer frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks