What's new

Anyone recommend $400 receiver to go with this ...? (1 Viewer)

Iain

Agent
I received useful advice on buying a first HT in the HT help and basics forums. Someone suggested seeking specific model recommendations in the HT hardware forums to help narrow down a short-list before testing out these puppies for myself. My HT room is about 21' by 13', but the TV has to go on one of the shorter walls, with the seating area maybe 8-9' back. My priority is for watching movies, with listening to music also quite important, and broadcast TV of lesser importance. Overall, my budget is $4,000, which I was thinking to split as follows (with desired features and potential models):
TV: $1,900 (rear-projection, HDTV-ready, 16:9, 40-45") - Mitsubishi WT-42311, Hitachi 43FWX20B, Toshiba 42HDX82 (or 42H82?)
Speakers: $1,400 (bookshelf mains and surrounds, center, powered subwoofer) - Aperion, Axiom, B&W, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Paradigm, Pinnacle, PSB (with SVS or HSU for the sub)
Receiver: $400 (Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, component video in) - Denon AVR-1603, Harman Kardon AVR 125, Onkyo TX-SR500, Pioneer VSX-D811S, Yamaha RX-V530
DVD player: $300 (progressive scan, DVD-Audio, no chroma bug, component video out) - Denon DVD-1600, Kenwood DV-6050, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Toshiba SD-5700
Any thoughts on the proposed receivers (bearing in mind the listed potential TV, spkrs, and dvd it could go with)? (I know these kinds of questions are very common here, but I've searched HTF and I still need help on getting my short-list shorter since there aren't enough hours in the day to properly test out all 5 receivers listed :frowning:)
Thanks folks!
Cheers, Iain

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Iain:
Among the receivers you've listed...
Denon AVR-1603
Harman Kardon AVR 125
Onkyo TX-SR500
Pioneer VSX-D811S
Yamaha RX-V530
...the H/K would be my first choice, the Yamaha my second and the Denon my third. The H/K has the best musical performance among them, which is a priority for my ears. I like the Yamaha's theater performance a bit more than the Denon's, enough to choose it over the Denon in a close race (if the Denon's theater performance were a shade better, it would be a closer race because it has smoother musical capabilities). The Onkyo and the Pioneer are a class below the rest, in my opinion, although they might have a few more bells and whistles.
I'd try to store a few nuts away to get the AVR 225 or 320, however, for a bit more juice.
-AM

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Ian,

DVD player: $300 (progressive scan, DVD-Audio, no chroma bug, component video out) - Denon DVD-1600, Kenwood DV-6050, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Toshiba SD-5700
For DVD, I go with RP82, great reviews lately, for $229 is the best DVD in its range.

Summary
TV = $1900
JBL S Series + SVS = $700 + $500 = $1200
H/K AVR520 = $577
DVD Panasonic RP82 = $229
TOTAL = $3906 (without shipping, but you will be very close to $4000)

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

EricScott

Auditioning
You may want to consider the Onkyou TX-SR 600. You can buy it for a little over $400 if you search around on the web or get a place like Circuit City to price match.

It has all of the features you are looking for including the higher quality component video inputs and outputs that will support HDTV. Especially if you are going to use your receiver primarily for HT, the Onkyo would be a great choice. I love my 600 for both music and movies but I think for the money you are not going to find another receiver with as many features and such high quality sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The SR600 has no pre-amp outputs, which would immediately put it at the bottom of my list (irrelevant if you never plan to use external amplification).
I would recommend looking around for an H/K AVR225, especially refurb directly from them: Harman.
The Marantz SR4200 can easily be had for $450 also, and is as good as any of the receivers you listed.
Where did you see the Denon 1600 for $300? I've been seeing it for $400-$500. I'd probably go for the RP82 also.
TV sounds fine, but before you decide on receiver, you should narrow down which speakers.

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that you should look at the avr225 for $400. You can get the avr125 for $300 easy.

Iain

Agent
Thanks a bunch for all the ideas. The concensus so far seems to be:
1. Spend more money :frowning:
2. H/K seems universally liked, and everything else (except the Pioneer) has its own champions
3. Marantz should be added to my list (particularly as I can get a SR4200 for $399 at a local honest-to-god bricks and mortar store)
Any more thoughts?
I've got similar threads going in the other component forums so I've commented on the other stuff there: TVs, speakers, DVD.
BTW John, unfortunately I haven't seen the Denon 1600 for $300, but if I could save a few $$$s on some of the other parts of the system I would happily spend $400 on this DVD player.
Cheers, Iain

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 811S is a great entry/mid receiver and alot of people don't give it it's due. That being said, some of the speakers you're looking at far outclass the 811S. I've said this in your other forums, but i still think you should shift some $$$ from TV and DVD to receiver and get something like the Pioneer Elite 43TX, 45TX, Denon 3802, or maybe a used 3801. Match that up with a solid JBL Studio speaker arrangement and a SVS sub and you would have an great system.

Panasonic has a 47" 16:9 HDTV that sells for $1600 every week at circuit city. The Panasonic RP62 or RP82 could be had for less than $200 any day of the week online. This would free up $400 to add to the original $400 set allocated, giving you a total of $800 to put toward a receiver, and all of the receivers i've mentioned, other than the 45TX (which is close), can be had for less than that online, especially a used Denon 3801, which could probably be had for around $500.

Jim Everhart

Auditioning
The HK would be a great choice. Another possibility would be the new Kenwood VR-6070. I have never been a big fan of Kenwood receivers, but this unit offers alot of features, sounds good, and appears to be well made. Its the only THX receiver for under $500 street price.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I agree with John that you should narrow down the speakers before the receiver so you will be able to in-house demo the receiver with your speakers - or at least demo them together in the shops.

The Pioneer is a fine budget choice as Stephen mentioned. I like it but also agree with the complaints about sound in 2 channel stereo. For me, the loudness button completely solves this but your mileage may vary. Also, as he mentioned, you may want to squeeze a little more into the receiver and go up to the next tier in the $800 range - given the quality of everything else you're getting.

One comment on the dvd player - you mentioned no chroma bug and I think the Toshiba SD5700 probably does have it since the rest of the Toshiba line seems to have had it to varying degrees. Also, there is the newer SD4800 that does DVD-Audio and can be had for under $200. Actually, the SD5700 can be had for $200 or less as well nowadays.

As for the tv, best to check in the display devices forum. There is a lot of combined experience and knowledge over there and you should be able to determine if people have had good or bad experiences with your choices.

good luck,

--tom

Joe_B_M

Grip
I agree on the Panasonic RP-82 for the DVD player, I have one and am very pleased. I haven't really heard anything bad about it either.

I would go with the Toshiba or Mits RPTVs, both pretty solid sets.

For speakers, it seems to be hard to get more bang for the buck than with the JBL Studio Series, but there's sure a lot of good options out there.

I would definitely give the Panasonic SA-HE200 a chance. It's really a very nice receiver. Seems to be solidly built, has a brushed aliminum face, plenty of power, sounds good and has DD EX, DTS ES Discrete, and Dolby PLII, as well as Neo 6 matrixed 6.1 sound. Most people around here will only recommend HK, Denon, Marantz, or Onkyo, which is fine but the HE200 is a solid receiver that can be had for about $375 delivered, retail is $499. It's pretty new so there's not a lot of info to be found, but it gets my recommendation. There's a few others here who have it with few complaints.

Good luck.

Chess Martin

Agent
not much to add other than a :emoji_thumbsup: for the Pioneer 811 and a humble recommendation to add Energy speakers to your audition list.
oh, and i had a Kenwood 6050 in my home for what might have been my LONGEST HT week. hated that thing.

Iain

Agent
Many thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.
You'll all be pleased to hear I've re-thought my budget slightly and upped my receiver limit :). Something had to give however, so I've had to shave a little off the speakers and DVD :frowning: - it looks like I can still get the features and quality I'm looking for there however. Here's my latest short-list:
TV: $2,000 (rear-projection, HDTV-ready, 16:9, 40-45") - Mitsubishi WT-42311 (most likely) or Toshiba 42HDX82 (or 42H82?)
Speakers: Ascend (2 CBM-170, 3 HTM-200, HSU VTF-2, $1,158); Axiom (2 M3Ti, VP100, 2 QS4, HSU VTF-2, $1,254), JBL (4 S26ii, S-Center ii, HSU VTF-2, $1,339), Paradigm (2 Titan, CC-170, 2 ADP-170, HSU VTF-2, $1,266) PSB (2 Alpha B, Alpha C, 2 Alpha Intro LR, HSU VTF-2, $1,126), Infinity (2 Entra One, Entra Center, 2 OWS-1, HSU VTF-2, $1,249)
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 225 ($500), Denon AVR-1803 ($500), Marantz SR-5200 ($549), Onkyo TX-SR600 ($500)
DVD player: $230 (progressive scan, DVD-Audio, no chroma bug, component video out) - Panasonic DVD-RP82 (doesn't seem to be much debate about this one)
I'm pretty set on the TV and DVD, but receiver and speakers are still up in the air - I'll be trying some of these out soon, but any more thoughts before I do ...?
Cheers, Iain

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Ian,

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 225 ($500), Denon AVR-1803 ($500), Marantz SR-5200 ($549), Onkyo TX-SR600 ($500)
With what you save on the speakers go a little over and buy Harman Kardon AVR-520, is going for $577, many consider it as better than the SR6200. so for a little more I think you will be getting much better reciever than the ones you have in your list.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Iain,
This are the links for the speakers, some of it are out of stock right now, but you could check contantly, they do restock pretty fast.
JBL S-CENTERII 3-Way, Dual 5 1/4" Center Channel Speaker $141
JBL S36II 3-Way, 6" Vertical/Horizontal Bookshelf Speaker $250
Harman/Kardon AVR520 7.1 Channel Audio/Video $619
I check onecall and the already have them at $809, maybe you could call them and see if you could get the $577. But if not in etronics you get it for $619 new.
Hope this helps,
Pablo ABularach

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
If I was spending $4000, I would do something like this.

Panasonic 47" widescreen TV, about 1600 delivered if you shop around.

Panasonic RP82 progressive scan DVD, Faroujda chip, and dvd-audio, about $200.

Thats $1,800.

Then I would go to dmc-electronics.com and buy myself some PSB 6T towers, a pair of 5T towers, and the center. Then I would get the NAD T761 they are selling, and whatever leftover I would use a sub for. His prices on the web page are low. But he goes lower and you can get cheap/free shipping.

The guy next to me at work, got the 7t's, the larger center, the 10S and the NAD T761 all for under $2k delivered. They sound very good.

If i didn't want the NAD T761 I would go with an outlaw 1050, its missing some options, but hey, for the money its damn good.

Good luck,

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks