What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone picking up The Hulk? (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
It got a decent 8.0 on IGN.. take that as you will ;) I'm intruiged to see what Gamespot give it, the vids i've seen looked fun enough.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
DEFINITELY waiting this one out! We all know what movie based games are like. :frowning:

Even the latest Matrix game fell into the pit of mediocrity, imho...and the opinion of many.

Anyhoo, seeing as how the movie (from what previews I've seen), looks like nothing more than a pissed off Shrek, I'm going to wait for some reviews from you guys around here with more guts than me. ;)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Anyhoo, seeing as how the movie (from what previews I've seen), looks like nothing more than a pissed off Shrek, I'm going to wait for some reviews from you guys around here with more guts than me.
That's funny. I'll definitely rent the hulkster. He's my favorite marvel comics character. It is marvel that did the hulk, isn't it? I like the nature of the hulk, not good, not evil just pure rage.

I'll agree with your assessment of ETM which I think did more than just fall into the pit of mediocrity. I think it bounced off the pit of mediocrity, did a half-gainer into the vat of shoved out the door before it's ready for prime time, and landed full square with a belly flop into the pool of video games you'll forget about after the first week. This one's already starting to clog up the pv owned copy section of my local EB.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I tried the PC demo, and actually had quite a bit of fun with it. There's nothing like picking up a pesky soldier and beating the rest of his squadmates with his body!

Marc.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I looked at the back of the case when I was out today, and the game definately looks pretty good.

It goes without saying that I recommend it highly.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, I rented it and hulk, go smash. I recommend this as a good rental, but I'd have a hard time seeing this as a purchase. The hulk is quite well animated, and the graphical look is quite interesting, sort of cel-shaded, but, not really. The environments are destructible, lots of stuff to pick up and smash. Sound nice sound effects when the hulk jumps and comes crashing down. Hulk go boom!! For a comic book type of game, the graphics are on the dark side and there really isn't a lot of variety in what you see. No widescreen by the way.

The basic problem with the game, is that it's essentially a button masher. The enemies you're fighting seem to consist mainly of swat guys like ETM. I'm feeling really sorry for the swat guys lately. There seems to be an endless supply of these guys, because they just keep coming. Levels tend to consist of fighting various battles within sections before moving on, either by jumping at designated points or smashing through a wall to get to the next area. It can get quite repetitive after a while.

The camera is not adjustable, another failing similar to ETM. You can engage a free look first person mode, but you can't move. It's fun being the hulk, but I think after a three day rental I'll be more than hulked out. Oh, you do get to play as Banner. I only did one level with him, and it seemed pretty straightforward.

The frame rate appears solid. The enemy AI seems pretty rudimentary. I'll play it some more tonight and see if the levels pick up or offer some more variety.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
Great review, I bought the Hulk because it was on sale. It is definately a smashing good time, but eventually you get tired of smashing the same enemies over and over again. A rental for sure. But the in-play Dolby Digital is fun. It is a nice bass work out, just turn off the vibration on the controller. I feel you will get athritis after a while.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Like others have said, a must own for Hulk fanatics (like me) but just a rental for everyone else.

I got the Xbox version and the DD5.1 is amazing.

One nitpick, some of the locked extras...

Both the teaser and trailer number are unlockable

I was expecting DVD quality video but they looked highly compressed. They probably used the same version as the GameCube to save space. But it is in DD5.1.

Doug

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I bought it tonight at BB (got a free $15 dollar gift card too), planning to eBay it after a week or two. So far it's simplistic but smashy and fun.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I am also waiting this one out. I'm waiting for a used copy to become avaliable since I don't like paying retail price for a game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks