What's new

Netflix and classic TV (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
As of January 1, I look to be cancelling my subscription to Netflix. There'll still be a little bit of classic TV, but it looks like anything associated with Universal is a goner. Emergency!, The A-Team, Battlestar Galactica, The Incredible Hulk, and The Rockford Files are all leaving. They've already ditched Adam-12 and Quincy, M.E. a while back. I guess they'll be keeping the CBS/Paramount classics of The Andy Griffith Show and Star Trek, but I can't justify keeping it for a couple of shows.

Does anyone have any clue as to why it's only seemingly Universal titles? I noticed Hulu has quite the selection of classic TV, so I'm hoping Hulu will pick up some of these. I binge watch Emergency! at night, even though I've watched every episode multiple times over. I put it on when I go to bed and fall asleep with it playing. I could invest in the new DVD complete series set I guess, but it's in SD instead of HD and I've gotten spoiled.

cjplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Two Words. Comcast OTT. I'll bet money they want in on the skinny bundle market. Also, I'd bet that Netflix doesn't care anymore about the classic TV market. They dropped more than 50% of their total catalog over the last 2 years. That means they likely let some contracts just lapse.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Two Words. Comcast OTT. I'll bet money they want in on the skinny bundle market. Also, I'd bet that Netflix doesn't care anymore about the classic TV market. They dropped more than 50% of their total catalog over the last 2 years. That means they likely let some contracts just lapse.
While they don't have everything Netflix dropped, I subscribed to Hulu. $11.99 a month and tons of classic TV. Some of the shows aren't HD and appear to be sourced from 16mm prints, but I have no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks